Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I found the Napa carb kit to be pretty darn complete - more so than the Keyster.
heck, i may actually have one at home. i'll check tonight.
82 FJ40
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've always had good results with Keyster carb kits. If your carb is an early DD38 - you may find this thread helpful.
TLCA #18941
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM

I finally have possession of the truck during daylight without any pressing deadlines! Photo time!

Rust is definitely an issue, but this was probably the best one I saw.

Can't complain about an upside down bezel if it's not on the truck! Bungee cords are because the latches are in a box in the back.

I need to figure out what the deal is with the black plugs...

Is that a factory radio? I think it is! Does it work? Not a damn clue....

Most of the smaller bits are scattered around inside the truck... The box is a new SOR headliner.

I upholstery is VERY nice, and TEQ logos are on everything.

The floor is under there, I promise, and it's totally solid. This is the bad side.

All of the running gear has been completely rebuilt. The PO is a mechanic by trade (and definitely not a body man), and seems to have done an excellent job. All parts are OEM or SOR's aftermarket when OEM wasn't available.

Cold weather intake will come in handy up here!

A good portion of the engine compartment is also new. The engine itself hasn't been touched, and after having sat for the last 5-7 years, I might need to replace a few seals... The chrome horn is from a Harley.

A full set of 5 original wheels. Sadly (or happily depending on how you look at it), the hubcaps seem to be the only pieces missing (so far).
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

That looks great - congrats!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks good. Is it a '75?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM

'74. I picked up a Warner carb kit from O'Reilly this morning on recommendation from Sabrina at Rocky Mountain Cruisers. Anyone have any experience with either of those? I was entertaining partial teardown before I went down there just to be efficient with time (had to take the wife to work at 12:30), but then I saw the multiple parts to the base and the complicated linkage and decided to wait until I had the kit in hand so I didn't destroy a gasket I couldn't easily replace. I also ordered a Haynes manual (also on recommendation from the same) as it seems the availability of factory manuals for this year is somewhat lacking... Any input on that?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Rising Sun member

black plugs on the dash are probably factory. Toyota didn't always fill the holes when they went to the next model year...

Factory radio is AM only, and I think sports the TEQ logo.

'74 is a good year, transition F engine (F.5) with the better oiling system, highest number of FJ40s were imported that year. Also has the 4spd.

IME, Haynes manual is a good cheap manual that covers a surprising amount of info on the vehicle and is reasonably accurate. The Factory Service manuals are even better, you just need to ask around to check availability. It's been a while since I ordered mine, but they didn't seem to have any problems getting them to me.

No idea on the Warner carb kit, usually the Hygrade or Keyster kits come recommended on the forums. Let us know how you like yours.

Looks like you found a nice rig. What are your plans for it? Are you going to drive it and work on the rust (doesn't look like much) as you go, looking for a stockish build eventually?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Yeah, it'll be a rolling project.

I'm not sure how I feel about this carb kit. I've rebuilt my fair share of carburetors, but I can't tell if I have everything I'm going to need... I've seen where the Keyster kits come with jets (seems an odd thing for a rebuild kit to have to me personally), and I have to admit I don't see any recognizable sort of accelerator pump diaphragm... I also can't tell what it has in terms of base gaskets, so I'm not sure where to remove it from... If I open it I can't take it back, but without opening it I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish the job... Off to an ignominious start, I'm afraid... Anyone itching to show a Cruiser newbie the ropes? Vanilla Porter or Milk Stout in it for ya!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

74 should be a DD38 with linkage. Check the date code on the carb to confirm is is from the correct era. I would be very surprised if the kit did not have the appropriate gaskets, the "tricky one" to make would be the one between the air horn and the body. I've got one that could be used as a template. On the early carbs, there really aren't many issues that you can run into. Review that thread I linked earlier for all the details. If you need a hand, let me know.
TLCA #18941
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Got the carb off. Date code is 11/8/73, so that makes me feel a bit more comfortable that I have the correct kit. I've found that carb kits tend to fall into one of two camps: so much stuff that someone unfamiliar with that particular model can easily be confused by all the leftover parts and their similarities, and missing key parts that leave the rebuilder stuck halfway through assembly digging through a trashcan hoping something wasn't destroyed/thrown away...

The truck is really complete and really original (as I've stated) and I'm waiting to find those PO "gifts" that always accompany older vehicles... Seats might be out of a 60-series, so there's (potentially) that unless someone knows otherwise. The carb date code is new info that adds further to the originality and completeness meter. VIN tag states an 11/73 production, and carb corroborates that fact. Are there any other dated things I might hunt for to get a little more precision?

For grins, and I know I'll probably hear some fairly low numbers, but what might be a fair price for a truck like this?