Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Middle St. Vrain to Coney Flats

So last Saturday, while many of you where frolicking around in the Gulches, a couple of us went up to Coney Flats.... and what an ass kicker it was. Before I say anymore, I assure you that there will be three additional rigs on the Gulches run next year!!! Aside from a few down trees the start of the trail wasn't too bad even with 2' of fresh snow. At 1.5 miles in, on the Middle St. Vrain trail, we reached the big hill with the dog leg right. A few 180's later, in blizzard conditions, and against our better judgment, we were hell bent on getting up this hill that was covered in solid ice. It wasn't until two of three rigs were midway up the hill that someone mentioned turning back. After a brief discussion it was decided that it was safer to continue than to try and get the two rigs down the hill. Needless to say, we started the trail at 10am and finally broke through Coney Flats at 10:45pm!!! We pulled cable at least 15 times and even had a brief/scary discussion of possibly spending the night out there. Although we were prepared this wasn't really an option because I had my two kids with me. At any rate, here's some of our "lessons learned" and a few pictures:
  1. Turn back before getting too committed.
  2. Be prepared to spend the night. Keep some vigil candels in the glove box in these conditions. They'll keep your cab above freezing in case of a break down.
  3. Take more food than you need for this type of wheeling
  4. Let the lighter rig be the scout. Way easier to get it out rather than a built 80
  5. Keep a better than average attitude when the realization that you're in way over your head. Fortunately we all did!
  6. Tend to your shackles & straps after each pull. Frozen shackles are a PIA with cold hands.
  7. Stay hydrated.
Attached Images

1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Did I mention how much I wish we would have gone to the Gulches???
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun member

Any more pictures? What's the story on the 3 rigs that went? How were they set up?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Holy cow Travis. I wheeled with my window down most of the time on Metberry Saturday. We kept waiting for the (snow) hammer to fall but it never did. Not until I got home to Conifer anyway.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Looks like you had a much better day wheeling! I'm always ready to go on a rescue mission!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow. What a contrast to our run. And to think I was wishing there was more challenges on the gulches run.

Thanks for the report but I agree with Matt. We are missing some big pieces of the puzzle about who was with you, how you got back down the big hill and just why it took you till 10:45 pm. Perhaps you are saving that for a trails article or meeting presentation?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

DAAAANNNNGGG!

I like Uncle Ben could be pulled out of the garage for a rescue mission, but it looks like you guys did great on your own. I am sure the success of the run was in no part due to lack of ability or equipment. Looks liek ya'll did great.

I feel guilty for having being in a warm garage all day. I had the HAM on too BTW, I wonder if that'da worked from up there?
82 FJ40
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was up there about a month ago on my bike (when it was still warm around here) and there was quite a bit of snow and ice on the trail as you got closer to the end of MSV. We ran into some other guys that said the hill up to Coney Flats was a sheet of ice. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been last weekend....

I'm glad you guys made it out without any major damage or issues.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Wincher

I'll chime in a little here. Ice was the understatement of the morning/day/night!! The two 80's were built with full armor, winches and lockers. We all aired down to 15-20 psi and the Suzuki was able to air down to 3psi. The third rig was a built Suzuki that save our "lives"!! Every time the 80's got stuck in broken ice or lost traction on the hills, the 1,500lb Suzuki zipped around us and hooked up and pulled us out. I burnt up my 9k winch, my fault for not getting a 12k one, and kissed a little tree stump on my passenger side door. Then ripped off the fender flare on the driver side trying to get traction via tree branches. I got high centered up front, stuck on a good size bolder going uphill( snow and ice) and cursing the day that I forgot my snow chains and chain saw for the downed trees crossing the trails. All this an my sister in law from Missouri still had a good time.
You'll have to ask Travis about his backward slide downhill about 100ft as I reversed out of his way as fast as possible staying on trail and not sliding off the ledge, hitting a tree or the large rocks.
The threat was real about an overnight stay. Great teamwork and determination saw us through the storm and back to Hwy 72 completeing the Coney Flats and MSV loop.
2006 KTM Adv. sold
2000 KDX 220
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunrock View Post
I'll chime in a little here. Ice was the understatement of the morning/day/night!! The two 80's were built with full armor, winches and lockers. We all aired down to 15-20 psi and the Suzuki was able to air down to 3psi. The third rig was a built Suzuki that save our "lives"!! Every time the 80's got stuck in broken ice or lost traction on the hills, the 1,500lb Suzuki zipped around us and hooked up and pulled us out. I burnt up my 9k winch, my fault for not getting a 12k one, and kissed a little tree stump on my passenger side door. Then ripped off the fender flare on the driver side trying to get traction via tree branches. I got high centered up front, stuck on a good size bolder going uphill( snow and ice) and cursing the day that I forgot my snow chains and chain saw for the downed trees crossing the trails. All this an my sister in law from Missouri still had a good time.
You'll have to ask Travis about his backward slide downhill about 100ft as I reversed out of his way as fast as possible staying on trail and not sliding off the ledge, hitting a tree or the large rocks.
The threat was real about an overnight stay. Great teamwork and determination saw us through the storm and back to Hwy 72 completeing the Coney Flats and MSV loop.
I have a new 12K winch I will sell you.....send me a pm.

97 LX450