Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM

Default Gas Tank Restoration?

I picked up my gas tank today from Spike Radiator in Sheridan. Carl Spike is the owner/operator, is a great guy to deal with, will only do it the right way, and does what he says he's going to do.

He boils the tank out in solvent until it is clean, then media blasts it inside and out. This requires cutting a few small holes in the tank for access to some areas, and they are patched back up. Then he takes care of any pin holes that open up with solder. Then he primes the tank with the red oxide automotive primer. Then it is sealed with a red plastic-type sealer. Finally it is painted with a low gloss, black water-based automotive latex.

I'm a real hardass about doing things the right way. All of my vehicles eventually get taken down to bare metal, and done up to my standards. This fits the bill. Very pleased.

Total bill was $300, total time 2 1/2 weeks. Completely professional and courteous at all times to boot. Highly recommended.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Here are some photos of the gas tank:

bottom

Here's the hole that was cut in the top to allow access to the inside for blasting (not everything can be reached from the filler/sender holes).

Here's the other one in the bottom

The rest are photos of where he soldered up up pinholes

Not something you might do for concourse, and I would have likely used a mig instead of solder for a cleaner look, but who sees the gas tank anyway? With the modern liner in there correctly applied, it's better now than when it left the factory floor and I'm a happy camper!