Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Trail Ready

Default Loud Pop! Then the sound of metal rubbing!

Okay, so I'm driving home last night in my 88 Toy Pickup. I have my front hubs locked, but NOT in 4WD though. Than I hear this lound bang, and then metal rubbing. So, I turn off the road, pop the hood. The engine sounds great and runs fine, so I'm thinking it something to do with the front end. So, I unlock the hubs and get back in the truck and it drives home fine in 2WD with the hubs unlocked and no noise. Today, I lift the front end up and lock the hubs, the passenger side tire turns easy with no problems, but the driver side tire is hard to turn. So, I'm thinking CV joint, hub, U joint or something. I think the diff is fine, no noise coming from there. Keep in mind this is a indepedent front end.........
Any ideas of what happen and needs replacing??"
CJ

88 Toyota XCab Pickup- Daily Driver
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman View Post
...Any ideas of what happen and needs replacing??"
CJ
Two part question, ok - I'll play.
1) Something broke. 2) The thing that broke.

When you had it up and the hubs locked, was the transmission in gear or neutral? If it was in gear, the tire that did not move makes sense, i.e. it is locked and the tire that did move is where you want to look closer. You might want to remove the cap from the hubs and see what condition they are in. It could be one of them failed.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Does your truck have ADD or was it manual hubs from the factory? The front end sliding gear on ADD is on the left side and could have broken.

Can you move the CV joint on the back of the hubs or at the diff? I'm talking about side-to-side, not in and out?

Have you tried turning the half shafts with the hubs unlocked? Should be easy to turn and the opposite side should turn backward or the front driveshaft might turn. If you lock the t-case in 4WD, the other side will definitely turn. There should be no binding and you probably will feel the ring gear turning the pinion.

I'm going to guess that the end of your axle sheared or your hub shattered and is jammed in the spindle. Were the hubs warm when you locked in the hubs or was the grease cold still?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Two part question, ok - I'll play.
1) Something broke. 2) The thing that broke.

When you had it up and the hubs locked, was the transmission in gear or neutral? If it was in gear, the tire that did not move makes sense, i.e. it is locked and the tire that did move is where you want to look closer. You might want to remove the cap from the hubs and see what condition they are in. It could be one of them failed.
The truck was in gear. There Asin Manual Locking hubs, the dial on the driver side has always been hard to move, if that means anything......I'll remove the hub caps this weekend......

Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Does your truck have ADD or was it manual hubs from the factory? The front end sliding gear on ADD is on the left side and could have broken.

Can you move the CV joint on the back of the hubs or at the diff? I'm talking about side-to-side, not in and out?

Have you tried turning the half shafts with the hubs unlocked? Should be easy to turn and the opposite side should turn backward or the front driveshaft might turn. If you lock the t-case in 4WD, the other side will definitely turn. There should be no binding and you probably will feel the ring gear turning the pinion.

I'm going to guess that the end of your axle sheared or your hub shattered and is jammed in the spindle. Were the hubs warm when you locked in the hubs or was the grease cold still?
Manual Asin hubs. The hubs had been locked since the morning. So they were already locked........was very cold.......I will take the hubs off this weekend and have a lock. Don't see any snow in the forecast, so probably go with 2WD till Sunday

Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

I want to change my answer. Were you by chance steering when the bang happened? Thinking one of your CV joints broke in the axle.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I want to change my answer. Were you by chance steering when the bang happened? Thinking one of your CV joints broke in the axle.
I was going straight down the highway.......any Toyota mechanics up in Boulder or Longmont??

Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
I was going straight down the highway.......any Toyota mechanics up in Boulder or Longmont??
Only one of the best: Robbie has a shop in Boulder.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Trail Ready

The Problem! The collar on the passenger side of the diff. where the axle shaft goes into the diff. separated from the diff completely.......

Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Opportunity

Quote:
The Problem! The collar on the passenger side of the diff. where the axle shaft goes into the diff. separated from the diff completely.......
Could be time for a solid front axle conversion.