Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Telly Telly is offline
Locked
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Monument
Posts: 274
Default Hood Latch Restoration

I'm considering either restoring my original hood and windsheild latches or buying a set from CCOT. Mine are a bit rusty. A few questions:
1. The originals appear to be galvanized? If so, has anyone hot dipped galvanized the original latches? Not sure that would work too well with all the moving parts or look right with the shining galvanizing.
2. If I go with the painting the originals silver, is there a color/brand paint I should use?
3. CCOT has aftermarket black powdercoated latches that I could paint silver. Anyone done this successfully?

I shooting for an orginal look. Thanks. Doug
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
wesintl's Avatar
wesintl wesintl is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in da house
Posts: 7,579
Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I shooting for an orginal look. Thanks. Doug
then get oem toyota.
5350690300 x2 hood
5350490300 x2 ws
__________________
See you on the trail
WREK
Couple o' FJ40's, BJ70, UZJ100, TDI 66FJ40,82FJ60,97FZJ80
TLCA#4180
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,153
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
then get oem toyota.
5350690300 x2 hood
5350490300 x2 ws
Werd!
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Telly Telly is offline
Locked
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Monument
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
then get oem toyota.
5350690300 x2 hood
5350490300 x2 ws
Cool...I was under the impression Toyota discontinued the latches. I've noticed that my local dealer says things are discontinued but they really aren't...this has happen a couple times now.

Last edited by Telly; 12-28-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
nuclearlemon's Avatar
nuclearlemon nuclearlemon is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,741
Default

aren't the windshield hooks the cheap looking ones with the pod at the base, not the old school double L brackets tho?
__________________
ige tlca #1431
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 AM
cruiseroutfit's Avatar
cruiseroutfit cruiseroutfit is offline
Wasatch Cruisers
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
aren't the windshield hooks the cheap looking ones with the pod at the base, not the old school double L brackets tho?
Correct, the 'L' bracket style supercedes to the newer one piece base.

If you run into a 'discontinued' at your local Toyota dealer, we stock the OEM and aftermarket in both zinc coated, powdercoated and primed (ready for paint). We've painted the primed ones as well as had the zinc conated ones powdercoated.
__________________
Kurt Williams
CruiserOutfitters.com
U4WDA, Wasatch Cruisers, TLCA, RR4W, Mountain Yoats 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Rezarf's Avatar
Rezarf Rezarf is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 4,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I'm considering either restoring my original hood and windsheild latches or buying a set from CCOT. Mine are a bit rusty. A few questions:
1. The originals appear to be galvanized? If so, has anyone hot dipped galvanized the original latches? Not sure that would work too well with all the moving parts or look right with the shining galvanizing.
2. If I go with the painting the originals silver, is there a color/brand paint I should use?
3. CCOT has aftermarket black powdercoated latches that I could paint silver. Anyone done this successfully?

I shooting for an orginal look. Thanks. Doug
Telly,

How original are you going for? I took mine off, hit on the wire wheel, and sprayed them with some silver hard hat rustoleum about 8 years ago and they are running strong and working great.
__________________
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Telly Telly is offline
Locked
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Monument
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Telly,

How original are you going for? I took mine off, hit on the wire wheel, and sprayed them with some silver hard hat rustoleum about 8 years ago and they are running strong and working great.
Good call, that is what I'm going to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.