Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Lifted

If you spend some time on the HP tuners forum it's spelled out on how to do it. The vortec trucks control the tow/haul through the serial connection and BCM, but it's possible to wire in pin 71 on the blue connector that provides a momentary ground, and this will cause the PCM to cycle through the normal and performance modes of the trans maps. So you could have one set up for 'normal' driving with a comfy cruiser and lots of torque management and another that will slam shift with no torque management.... I just don't know how long a stock 4L60e would hold up to that

I still want to go back and wire in the a/c request module so that the pcm can control the idle when the compressor cycles. It works for now, but it's not very smooth in the transition. lot's of stuff still to do..

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrod View Post

I still want to go back and wire in the a/c request module so that the pcm can control the idle when the compressor cycles. It works for now, but it's not very smooth in the transition. lot's of stuff still to do..
ahh, one thing i have not done. right now my AC comes on with no idle up. usually it is not a problem. sometimes it'll kill the motor.

that's the only thing i gotta do, 4 years and 100k miles after getting the swap driveable
82 FJ40
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Lifted

another update:

Fixed my flaky tach issue. It turns out the output pulse signal in the vortec pcm was set wrong and was causing the stock indash tach to jump around. I reset the signal back to the stock LS1 4 count per rev and then using my dakota digital converter I was able to stabilize the gauge. Now it's smooth and responds correctly.

I also figured out how to activate the 'tow/haul' mode.

Normally the silverado trucks use the body control module to respond to the truck tow haul button and sends a request over the serial data to activate the secondary shift pattern. By activating the pin 71 in the blue connector, it now responds to a simple ground circuit request and momentary push button switch. By pushing the button once, the circuit from the pin 71 is ground to chassis and the PCM commands tow haul mode and raises the shift points, holds the gears longer, and firms up the shifts. Push the button again and it reverts to normal mode.

pretty cool! I can go back and edit the shift patterns later as needed.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Lifted

Been awhile so it's time to update:

Nothing. It's been running great and averaging about 17 mpg on my daily commute to and from work. I have noticed the heater works very well, probably because the vortec likes to run about 195f. The fans don't kick on until it gets to 206 which is very infrequent.

I invested in the hp tuners software so that I could find tune the engine. Mail order tunes will get you running but it's impossible to dial the motor in like that. hp tuners is a godsend.

Finally the v8 power is a bit of a handful in the snow and ice. It's extremely easy to spin all four tires. It needs traction control.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great to hear. Over here with your donor engine I have about 13,000 on my rebuild. Its running great. Its very strange to have zero oil consumption between changes. Plainly your rings were good! I think I finally tracked down the last super-slow coolant loss to the overflow bottle cap, but sending oil to Blackstone just to be sure. The gasket was a bit crusty so I gave it a good scrub and will see if that lets it seal. Otherwise the cap is about $10. Cap and bottle around $80. The triple fan pulley ever so slightly hits the back of the A/C belt so I plan to swap that out. I also have a PS line weep - I think the low pressure return from the gearbox. And still lousy fuel mileage and inherent traction control byproduct of a tractor engine.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrod View Post
Been awhile so it's time to update:

Nothing. It's been running great and averaging about 17 mpg on my daily commute to and from work. I have noticed the heater works very well, probably because the vortec likes to run about 195f. The fans don't kick on until it gets to 206 which is very infrequent.
Sweet

When are you going to start offering outside sales and installation?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Sweet

When are you going to start offering outside sales and installation?
I thought about it, but the time commitment is huge. I might sell this one in a year or so and try something different. I plan on using it a lot this summer now that the triplets are easier to deal with on long car rides.