Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Overheated?

Soooo on my way home tonight I look at my cluster and my temp gauge is PEGGED in the red cycle the ignition off while coasting and let it drop to cold before letting the truck bump start. Stays at operating temp. Cool. Look down again and pegged it may be a bad sensor, but I'm not taking any chances. Anybody near hampden and Sante fe have a good scan tool with data lists? I think I wanna check my actual temps before concluding on a sensor.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Lifted

If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
Soooo on my way home tonight I look at my cluster and my temp gauge is PEGGED in the red cycle the ignition off while coasting and let it drop to cold before letting the truck bump start. Stays at operating temp. Cool. Look down again and pegged it may be a bad sensor, but I'm not taking any chances. Anybody near hampden and Sante fe have a good scan tool with data lists? I think I wanna check my actual temps before concluding on a sensor.
With the cool weather I'd guess a bad sensor as well but a new thermostat & radiator flush isn't going to hurt.... I'm assuming your radiator is topped off, could be a ruptured hose.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post

With the cool weather I'd guess a bad sensor as well but a new thermostat & radiator flush isn't going to hurt.... I'm assuming your radiator is topped off, could be a ruptured hose.
Ya topped off and still full. This is the 3.4 swap I just finished in September so the coolant and most of the hoses are new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudbay View Post
If it went down to cool for a while, when you let the motor cool down, wouldn't the sensor be good?
No the engine was off for 15-30 seconds tops.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Lifted

Gotcha. I say you warm her up and see how hot the radiator hoses are by hand. I really don't know anything about these sensors, but a lot temp sensors are dummies, and really just show cold, not cold, overheating. I would start here, easy and probably pretty cheap.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Lifted

I'm at work today if you want to stop by.
94 pickup in a pile of parts
Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Ah dang. Missed ya.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudbay View Post
Not necessarily. could be faulty connection, could be faulty ECU. Never jump straight to a conclusion, simply start eliminating possible causes until the root cause is found. Always start with the cheapest/easiest tests.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Right. It's why I'd like to look at what the ECU sees first. I've seen temp sensors short internally before especially once it reaches a certain temp. I may do the boiling water test with a thermometer and an ohmmeter. Quick and simple.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

An infrared heat gun would tell you a lot about the cooling system, too.