Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default yep...this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Hey Rick:

Be prepared to buy a master cylinder. 9 out of 10 times that's where you'll find the problem in my experience. Pull back the carpet under the pedal and look for any signs of fluid. You might not see any sign, but hey maybe it will be obvious.

Anyway, the master cylinders always seem to give up in the cold weather, the fluid leaks out into the cab and under the carpet, and then no clutch. your rig is just kinda at the right age for the problem too. They are only good for about 1,000,000 pushes.

Good Luck!
x2
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
hey Rick:

Be Prepared To Buy A Master Cylinder. 9 Out Of 10 Times That's Where You'll Find The Problem In My Experience. Pull Back The Carpet Under The Pedal And Look For Any Signs Of Fluid. You Might Not See Any Sign, But Hey Maybe It Will Be Obvious.

Anyway, The Master Cylinders Always Seem To Give Up In The Cold Weather, The Fluid Leaks Out Into The Cab And Under The Carpet, And Then No Clutch. Your Rig Is Just Kinda At The Right Age For The Problem Too. They Are Only Good For About 1,000,000 Pushes.

Good Luck!
X3

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Lifted

You guys are such negative nellies. Didn't he say he had a puddle under the truck? I've never had a master leak to the ground... I still vote slave.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudbay View Post
You guys are such negative nellies. Didn't he say he had a puddle under the truck? I've never had a master leak to the ground... I still vote slave.
He said no obvious puddle.

I'd order a master with it. They aren't all that expensive either. And whatever caused one to fail has probably damaged the other.

All this talk of cold and hard to get to....

I once replaced the master, slave, and soft line on a friend's Taco. In the winter. While it was parallel parked in downtown Denver. You haven't lived until you've had to time getting out from under the truck with traffic.

Dan
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Master and slave it is

I'm planning on doing the work Friday afternoon/Saturday.

1997 T100 4x4
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I've had good luck buying OEM parts at aftermarket prices here:

Import Car Parts Of Co
(303) 789-1789
1205 W Dartmouth Ave, Englewood, CO
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's always a relief to have Dad, or a friend, come and rescue you. Should that not be an option, someday, it's good to know how to deal with a situation such as this all by your lonesome. We've all seen someone on the trail with a manual transmission vehicle start a killed engine with the truck in first gear and carry on. Shifting without a clutch is a skill every good wheeler with a manual transmission should be proficient at. If your starter and engine are up to the task, driving clutchless is really pretty easy and starting from a stop is the hardest part of the procedure but not really tough at all. Once you've driven away from a stopped situation shifting from gear to gear is pretty intuitive and easily accomplished even in downtown type traffic. Heck, even your average 18 wheeler driver can handle that. Just another tool in the skills bag that can save your bacon in a pinch should Dad not be available to help.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
You haven't lived until you've had to time getting out from under the truck with traffic.

Dan
Roger that! Funny I read: no puddle as puddle.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
It's always a relief to have Dad, or a friend, come and rescue you. Should that not be an option, someday, it's good to know how to deal with a situation such as this all by your lonesome. We've all seen someone on the trail with a manual transmission vehicle start a killed engine with the truck in first gear and carry on. Shifting without a clutch is a skill every good wheeler with a manual transmission should be proficient at. If your starter and engine are up to the task, driving clutchless is really pretty easy and starting from a stop is the hardest part of the procedure but not really tough at all. Once you've driven away from a stopped situation shifting from gear to gear is pretty intuitive and easily accomplished even in downtown type traffic. Heck, even your average 18 wheeler driver can handle that. Just another tool in the skills bag that can save your bacon in a pinch should Dad not be available to help.
Steve, in the post he said he drove it home
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
That, and thank goodness it's easy to defeat the clutch safety switch in a Toyota!

1997 T100 4x4