Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

The pad clearance should take care of itself, no shims needed. The single shim is supposed to be an anti squeal device.

Can you get it to clunk using the parking brake?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I have heard brake pads make that noise. Driveshafts too. Try pulling apart the shaft and lube the splines.
X2 used to happen on my Silverado. it was totally dry in there and once I lubed the entire spline area it went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

How about a loose body mount? My Dodge does it too but it is due to the bushings wearing out. Have you checked the sway bar bushings? Curious to see what it is now, keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like a cv joint popping reeeealy loudly....
82 FJ40
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had a sound very much like that develop on the way to Rubithon. It was more periodic, totally speed dependent and was driveshaft related. Was not tough to fix (pocket knife) but was hard to diagnose until I got enough coffee on board to wake up.

It's probably not what you got there, though. I'd be going after brakes, CV, hubs. That sounds to me like the auto hubs on my old Ford Ranger engaging and disengaging. They'd pop to lock and pop when you backed up to unlock.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun Commander

It's gotta be the brakes. The only way to make it clunk is to hit the brake, the real brake, as it doesn't clunk if you stop with just the parking brake. It does squeak pretty good though.

I'm going to dig into the front calipers again tonight. Will post up a pic, just in case I'm not seeing anything obvious... appreciate the help!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
It's gotta be the brakes. The only way to make it clunk is to hit the brake, the real brake, as it doesn't clunk if you stop with just the parking brake. It does squeak pretty good though.

I'm going to dig into the front calipers again tonight. Will post up a pic, just in case I'm not seeing anything obvious... appreciate the help!
I am no mechanic, as has been well documented..., but when Robbie replaced my rotors and brakes last year, I thought there was something spinning in there that he said should not be, he fixed it with the new rotors or tightened it.. You might want to ping him and ask his advice? Originally, I was going to say rear diff but then you said you could feel it under your feet. Ujoints from drive shafts?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I am no mechanic, as has been well documented..., but when Robbie replaced my rotors and brakes last year, I thought there was something spinning in there that he said should not be, he fixed it with the new rotors or tightened it.. You might want to ping him and ask his advice? Originally, I was going to say rear diff but then you said you could feel it under your feet. Ujoints from drive shafts?
Let me see what I come up with.. I've got newer rotors & pads already, and was the guy who put it all together, so I'm doubtful that I've got something else awry here. And it's not the front drive shaft, as I've already determined the clunk exists with the DS removed. And those u-joints are really greasy and happy now.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Interesting...I had myself convinced it was one of the drive shafts. Oh well. Now you've got piece of mind on two well-serviced shafts....

Maybe you should remove the brake calipers and see if it goes away.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM

nakman, i'm having an issue with the wifes durango, clicking/clunking, some squeeling. i thought it was the front drivers side brake but the rotor and the pads look to be in good shape' then i thought front wheel bearing/hub. the noise went away for about 2 weeks and came back, i looked at the bake of the hub and all the grease had been pushed out. i got another new hub ' but the noise is still there, now i'm going to replace the drivers side cv drive shaft[ the one from the front diff to the front drivers side wheel].i'm hoping this is the fix for me mabye this is your problem too, the noise on the durango isn't there all the time either. upper\lower ball joints could be a posability too.