Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Commander

So Dave, Marco said I sounded like a secret agent.... guessing because the mic is so different. I look forward to getting this on a group run on simplex, where the ht vs. mobile rig is less of a variable. I want to whisper to people as I spot them down wipeout hill this year....

Edit: oh and thanks again for saying hi last night! I am certain that 70% of Colorado's area, and 90% of Colorado's population found our conversation absolutely riveting.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

I ended up getting one of those ear bone conducting mics, too. My audio report this morning with the VX-7R was muffled audio, readable but muffled. The comparison was that it sounds similar to the built-in mic on the VX-7R with the membrane still on.

The earphone sound is thin and tinny, but that's to be expected as well. Not really any worse than the internal speaker, which I've always found to be very poor at anything higher than ambient room volume. It allows a lower volume with more background noise, the ear plug does a good job at blocking out other sounds (almost too good, I only hear ambient noise with my other ear).

I do not get feedback and the PTT works fine. Not too bad for $19, but it's not super high fidelity.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Some of the elements have been mentioned in other threads, but I wanted to get this stuff all in one place. So let this be the official definitive ham radio on a motorcycle thread. As I see it there are four main areas of concern:

1. power
2. the radio
3. remote microphone, remote speaker connectivity
4. antenna

So with that, I will ask that anyone with knowledge or a somewhat knowledge-based opinion please post up car dvd players your recommendations to any or all of the 4. Is there a 5?

And why would you even want to have a ham radio on a motorcycle? Well for starters all the same reasons you'd want one in a truck- main ones being communicate with others on the run, and reach out for help if there's an emergency and no cell coverage. Are there others?
In my opinion it is best to use bluetooth speakers and enjoy music. It is risk free and you can have fun

Last edited by Belghau; 02-06-2013 at 01:37 AM.