Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Lifted

Default CB radio opinions

I am interested in a new CB radio. I currently have a Uniden 510 that has a range of about 150 feet. I only use it when off road to communicate with other drivers. I am interested in a Midland 75-822 handheld unit that I can store in my console and I can use it in either vehicle I am in. I do realize you get what you pay for...
Any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Rising Sun member

Go ham and don't look back.

I was actually just reading this trip report again from several years ago. As of today almost everyone in the club has a ham radio. So much mo' betta:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/s...&highlight=gtr

But if you must stick with a CB (I still have a Uniden 510 in my 40 because there are still folks out there who run CB), make sure it's tuned ok with an SWR meter. I have one you could borrow if you'd like. You should be able to get a couple miles out of it (ham can easily hit 40 miles, even without a repeater).
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

HAM is useful when you're with Rising Sun and/or need to reach out for assistance or communication when line of site is not good enough. I have both CB and HAM in both rigs and when I'm wheeling with other groups outside of the club the CB not only gets used but is essential for trail communication. I really like the Cobra 75 WXST that I have in my 80. It fits anything, seems to be uber reliable, and I can have it turned way down so the CB noise is almost tolerable if usage is light. CB's are all somewhat close in performance but what makes a difference in any transceiver is the cable quality and connections and the antenna. A cheap Kraco blue light special CB with a good cable and an excellent antenna will reach way out better than a top of the line Uniden/Cobra with dirty connections and/or a bargain basement antenna. In other words save you money on buying a new radio and upgrade your antenna and cable and have it tuned!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Rising Sun Commander

150 feet? It sounds like your SWR may be off.. it should be a lot better than that. Like Uncle B said the Cobra 75 is a pretty nice CB, but more of your performance difference is going to be in your install and antenna.

What's the name of that CB shop again? there's a place that will test it for you, then help you make adjustments, etc. They'll also sell you what it takes to reach optimum quality.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun member

Radio Service Center
918 S. Sheridan Blvd
303-922-8107
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Thanks, Matt! So DenCo point being, you may not have to spend much at all to get that Uniden running better.

Which frees up cash for the Ham!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Thanks, Matt! So DenCo point being, you may not have to spend much at all to get that Uniden running better.

Which frees up cash for the Ham!
Thanks for the pointers everyone. I think I'll do the SWR thing to make it work for now. I think Nakman has convinced me to check out the HAM radio side of things.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Right on! and good to meet you today. Here's that site I told you about with the practice tests http://www.qrz.com/ht/ and check out the sticky threads up top here for all the theory involved.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Right on! and good to meet you today. Here's that site I told you about with the practice tests http://www.qrz.com/ht/ and check out the sticky threads up top here for all the theory involved.
Good to meet you as well. I think I will take Subzalis and your suggestion to try HAM and see what happens. So far from what I've read from the stickies and elsewhere it seems to be interesting. I ordered a handheld Yeasu to listen to until I get a license.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

That Midland 75-822 CB is a great radio. I have mine connected to a Firestik and it works great. If I need to go portable the rubber ducky and battery pack are in my center console. It does not require an interior hard mount and that's why I choose it. My only complaint is that the back lighting is on a very short timer. I wish it stayed on for night use.

HAM is the way to go. But outside our club its hit or miss if your wheeling companions will be so equipped. I can't get the Durango clan to go HAM so I'm stuck on a CB often.
2004 Starcraft 10RT