Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you know a camper is in your future, Save the money and just use a regular on the ground tent. Better gas milage, less weight, truck still fits in garage, don't have to bring camp with you if you have to run to town for something.

I'll suggest borrowing someones for a weekend and see how you like it. We rented one and quickly learned it was not at all what we wanted.

I particularly disliked having to climb up and down the ladder at 2am when kids had to go to the bathroom.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Stan,
I like the ARB Simpson III. It unfolds easy and gets put away quick. It is a bit longer than the sleeping bag so you can put your boots down near the end and a small bag. I also has the little extra cover area so people cant see right into the tent.

And yes Mike, I install it myself. I pull into the garage, lower it down, bolt it on and go

Course I have tall garage doors that allow me to clear it with the tent installed

The lift mechanism is $150 with free shippinghttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/ihco-20

The ARB Simpson was very comfortable on the Maze trip. I used nakmans full rack and also had two forerrunner two natao gas can carriers mounted on the back. Used on for gas and the other for a propane tank for the propane fire (no wood fires allowed)

Kurt from cruiseroutfitters has a great review of them

http://forum.ih8mud.com/cruiser-outf...-top-tent.html
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM

I have a Tepui mounted over the shell of my Tacoma. I picked it up from SoftTopper in Boulder for about $1k if I remember correctly. Reasons I went w/ the Tepui:

-Cheaper than most models out there.
-Takes up a very small footprint on top of the truck. I can still load 5 bikes on the roof rack over the cab while it is on the shell... Yet it opens up to be a little bigger than a queen sized mattress.
-I can open it off the back... Giving me shelter for the tailgate, which serves as our kitchen.

After some use (Probably about 10 nights in the last 8 months) I've discovered:
-The foam mattress it comes with is only a tiny bit softer than a board of plywood.... This is easily remedied by putting a memory foam pad sized for a queen mattress in there.
-Sleeping up there is freakin awesome! So much more comfortable than any other camping situation I've used. And if you park in the trees it's like being in a tree house.
-Getting out to pee is a little difficult in the middle of the night. If you tend to get drunk when you camp, this would be a terrible idea.
-It really hasn't hurt my gas mileage as much as I thought it would. Maybe a 5% reduction if that.
-Keeps me quite warm and quite dry. More so than any other tent/system I've used.
-My girlfriend likes it even more than I do.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM

one other thing:
It's super easy and fast to put up and take down, especially when compared w/ a ground tent. My girlfriend and I can do it in about 5 minutes and it takes about 8 minutes to do it solo. Plus, all your bedding stays up there, so you pop it up and rack out and you are not occupying space in the truck with pillows and blankets.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

one big thing to consider is how easily you can set it up/take it down. i found out during the killpecker run that i could never use a standard fold over tent because i'm not tall enough to be able to deal with the cover, fold it down and fold it back up.

get a used maggi.. you can find them for about $1500-1700 and they don't really lose they're value.

i could set up in 2 minutes where it took treeroot 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. granted, he did have the vestibule, but even without, it still took a long time. teardown for me was 5 minutes. treeroot was still close to the same time.

after three days when we rolled in for fuel, the guys with the soft tents were on empty, i had a 1/4 tank. i've found no mileage loss at all.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Lots of good stuff on here. I appreciate the feedback. I thought I had my mind made up that I was getting one. I still think I would use it enough. The ARB like Romer has goes for about $900 on CL once in a while. The Maggi is top $ for sure, but seems like the easiest setup. Now I'm not sure what to do. Here's the article Nakman referenced from Kurt Williams.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...t-(RTT)-for-me
EDIT: Same story Romer posted.

I had been thinking I'd at least like one for the Kokopelli trip. But, there's really not much downside to just sleeping in the back of the truck either. (Except maybe ventilation) OTOH, the kids would be psyched to sleep up top on our local overnighters. Seems like half of you like them, the other half don't. Do those of you who have them feel like you use it enough? Or, is it too much of a hassle? Damn Nakman and his "Post it on the RS forum" pep talk....... Way to douse the flames on my slumber in the sky.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW

Last edited by Fishy; 02-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
one other thing:
... My girlfriend and I can do it in about 5 minutes and it takes about 8 minutes to do it solo...
Just pointing out for the record that I could have said something really really inappropriate and funny but am taking the high road here... don't want to scare you away too quick here Keith.

Stan I had one for about 4 years and hardly used it. It was almost better to take the popup, or just a tent, or just crash in the truck. Then once I finally did I realized it just wasn't for me. Like Farnham said, you should try to borrow one, with at least one kid (you can borrow one of mine if yours can't go)- I bet you'd learn real quick if you liked RTT life.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Edit: before I had a kid...

I have an ARB Simpson II, the older model that Romer and Kurt have. I really like it. I lived out of my FJ60 a few summers ago and the RTT was great. I like that it doesn't get filthy when it rains or snows from mud on the ground. It has a mattress. I could fill my rig with gear and not have to worry about making room to sleep in it. I CAN put it on and take it off myself with some ingenuity. Going up and down the ladder is easier for me than crawling around on my knees to get in and out of a small tent and the RTT is a lot more wind/weather stable than a giant ground tent. Since selling my FJ60 I have built a rack on my Hilux and mounted it to my bed rails. It's great. Even easier to put on and off, easier to get in and out of. I just miss the enclosed FJ60 cab for my gear. I wish I could mount it on my FJ40 because I enjoy driving the 40 most. Someday I'll sell everything, buy an FJ45 Troopy (or maybe another FJ60) and mount a RTT on it.

Now that I have a kid I just don't wheel or camp anymore.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
one other thing:
My girlfriend and I can do it in about 5 minutes and it takes about 8 minutes to do it solo.
^^^ Good catch Tim! Dang that's funny......I can't believe I missed that! What's happening to me?

TLCA Social Media
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Edit: before I had a kid...
Now that I have a kid I just don't wheel or camp anymore.
Martin I like that set up a lot! Wanna sell it?

It looks like some tents don't open flat. Some have a slight "V" to them. The ARB's (Romers and Martins pics) look totally flat when open. The Tepui's look "V" shaped in their pics??

TLCA Social Media