Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

I carry a bottle jack in addition to a high lift as a safety precaution because I don't trust the hi-lift by itself. Had one fail on Spring Creek for no reason...luckily no one was under the truck.

______

Last edited by FJBRADY; 02-13-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've had my 80 come off my high lift twice. Both times in the driveway while rotating tires

First instance I used my slider to lift the vehicle. It was winter and the base of the jack slid out as I went to grab the impact. I went outward and the top of the jack put my first dent in the side of my 80. Would have been much worse had the tire been off the truck.

The second time I used the eye on the front of the ARB to lift from using Slee's accessory tool. The truck leaned out and the front rotor hit the ground. I only had damage to the dust shield as I have a gravel driveway.

I'm lucky both times. I know use a 3.5ton dolly jack to rotate tires. Its a better tool for the job. But I would never leave my hi-lift behind on the trail. Its just too versatile of a tool. However commands respect. I want to add an X-Jack to my kit when money allows. I much prefer that for tire changes on the trail.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
radflow. That looks even more dangerous due to it's short length. just sayin'
I've never seen one operate, but just from the looks of it, you could easily eliminate one of the two risks with a hi-lift. I have seen handles wack people as often as seeing a lifted truck tip over on a hi-lift. The native rad-flo doesn't have a handle that will wack you, and you aren't swaying it every time you pump for a little more height as you would on a hi-lift.

The other risk....dunno. Maybe since the radflo body isn't a traveler, you could have a mount that grabs that cylinder in two points to keep it more steady. Just thinking out loud. I don't think it's a solve-all for sure, but I like some aspects of the design.

However, it's been around for 3 years, and I've never seen one. There must be something about it (cost?) that keeps it off the trail.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

I still sport a nice dent in my door from my high lift. I had a boulder at Chinamans under my rig. I couldn't move and it was tearing up things as I tried. I did'nt have full belly pans at the time. A high lift was the about the only option. Winching would have risked ripping things up. I didn't have enough negative angle on the jack on the loose dirt. Things were going well. But as soon as the truck lifted the tires - it slipped out and the top of the jack dug into my door. I was too pissed to take a picture of the damage. I just have this pic of before hand.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

On Spring Creek I sliced a side wall while going up the snowy shelf road. I heard the air coming out. So I continued to the next switchback and stopped on fairly level ground. This time I successfully jacked off the front corner of my bumper to change the tire. A bottle jack and wood block wouldn't have raised it high enough on that road.

It was a little precarious. I wonder what I could have done differently. I have a slider attachment now for the high lift so I guess that would be a better option today.

I will say after removing fence posts with my same jack and a choker chain on two of my houses over the years. I find working the jack very easy and safe now. But, using on a rig requires additional respect.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
A couple near-misses:

-I had the front of my FJ40 held up with a Hi-Lift jack. The little cotter pin that is supposed to hold the jack handle in its holder was broken and missing, so the handle could come out. As I lowered the FJ40, the handle started swinging violently like treeroot mentioned above and the handle flew out with enough force to knock me over or break my windshield. Luckily it did neither and instead hit my passenger side mirror and broke the glass. Lesson learned - hang on to that thing!

Come to think of it I still need to find a new cotter pin to put in there.

-Was installing 80 series front springs onto the rear of my buddy's 2nd gen 4runner for a little extra lift. Had to jack the rear end of the truck up really high to get the suspension to sag. Didn't like the looks of the setup and gave the truck a little test nudge. It tipped the jack over sideways while moving the back end of the runner over about 2-3 feet. Luckily no damage or harm done. Lesson learned - keep the lift as low as possible, and/or use extra stablizing bracing when needing to hold the position for a while!
I've had the same thing, with the jack ratcheting out of control.

However, the issue you had with the 4runner, in the right situation, is something I've done probably a dozen times.

In tight trails, I've often slid off my line, and gotten into a situation where the side of the truck was too close to a rock or tree and no matter if I go forward or backward, I'll hit the truck on the object.

Solution: stick the jack into the reciever hitch, jack it up until the back wheels come off the ground, and, standing clear of the jack, push the truck off the jack. This moves the truck a foot or so away from the obstacle, sometimes less, sometimes more. Repeat until you can drive out of it.

In addition, I have used a highlift in a situation where a truck was in a very bad position, and it was only possible to get their winch out on the front, but no one could get up to get a winch on the back end. The truck was trying to tip over down a very long hill when the winch was tensioned.

Solution: use a highlift as a winch on the rear tubework, and pull the back end of the truck up at the same time as the winch was being used, and the truck was recovered safely and successfully.

In my opinion, highlift jacks are no more or less dangerous other types of jacks when out on the trail, when they are used properly. A bottle jack can slip off an axle tube pretty easily. As with anything, they need to be respected, and used with caution. But, they are an extremely handy tool to have in your vehicle.

The handles can also be used to trail repair bent tie rods and drag links, and the main rail can be used as a pry bar.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Do I get credit for the first 'broken bone' reply?

I have used Hi-Lifts extensively through the years for fencepost pulling, ranching, car repair, etc., but all it takes is a moment's inattention.....

I was winching an old Chevy Blazer chassis onto a car hauler with my FJ40. The rear end of the Blazer was wider than the car hauler, and I had to pick up and move the tail end of the Blazer over about 6" to get it better aligned and on the trailer side rail. I jacked up the rear-center of the Blazer chassis with the Hi-Lift and tried to shift the whole mess over. Somehow, my gloved pinky got caught between the jack and the back frame member of the Blazer. It hurt - a lot - but I continued for 45 min. (I was alone) and got it realigned and fully loaded. I hitched up the trailer to the FJ40 and drove it home, and my wife determined that if your pinky is wandering off in a direction other than straight, it's probably broken. The doctor said 'most people just do a hairline crack - you broke it all the way through'. To his credit, he got the bone (now a 2-piece unit) aligned and it healed perfectly. I still use my Hi-Lift, but give it even more respect.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
That's why I don't have a hi-lift anymore.....never impressed with how heavy they were, and dangerous all at the same time. I had some close calls, and watched a friend have one drop and wind up poking a hole through his body.
Wow Barry!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend

Hope he survived the ordeal...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Before I met you all, I watched a hi-lift put a nice dent in the tailgate of my Bronco. The operator (two tuck guy) neglected to install the pin that holds the standard to the base. He got the truck up in the air and the standard promptly leaned forward and click, boom click,click, click, click - $hit. Odd how I can still clearly recall the sounds.
TLCA #18941
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Wow Barry!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend

Hope he survived the ordeal...
Car body! lol....
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL