Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Kurt's write up on RTT's

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...t-(RTT)-for-me

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

I keep thinking about something like this though. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...t-for-the-FJ40

Of course, none of this matters to most of you since I'm the only one that wheels a 40 anymore. lol

Here's the troopie version http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-...en-08-a-2.html
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

As I've been looking more and more into this, how stout are the soft RTT covers? Can they handle the scratching/slapping of tree branches on the trail?

I did some trails last year that beat the top of my truck up pretty good from low hanging branches. It seems like the Maggiolina is the clear choice because of its ease of operation and hard shell. They don't come cheap though. I'm on the lookout for a used one.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
As I've been looking more and more into this, how stout are the soft RTT covers? Can they handle the scratching/slapping of tree branches on the trail?

I did some trails last year that beat the top of my truck up pretty good from low hanging branches. It seems like the Maggiolina is the clear choice because of its ease of operation and hard shell. They don't come cheap though. I'm on the lookout for a used one.
Imho, the Maggiolina would be the ones to avoid. Pocking a hole through the shell would be expensive. Eazi-Awn, and ARB (others as well i'm sure) have heavy duty canvas covers for the tents. Plus, the tents are folded up in storage while traveling. Main parts of the tent are protected by the base.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

The cover on my ARB is (or is very similar to) Hypalon. It's really pretty tough stuff. The zipper on the cover failed long before the cover and I procured and purchased a new cover (with improved zipper) from Kurt easily and for a reasonable price. I'm sure the maggiolina would be tougher, but for the extra cost, I can replace my cover a few times, but I doubt I'll ever have to again.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
Imho, the Maggiolina would be the ones to avoid. Pocking a hole through the shell would be expensive. Eazi-Awn, and ARB (others as well i'm sure) have heavy duty canvas covers for the tents. Plus, the tents are folded up in storage while traveling. Main parts of the tent are protected by the base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
The cover on my ARB is (or is very similar to) Hypalon. It's really pretty tough stuff. The zipper on the cover failed long before the cover and I procured and purchased a new cover (with improved zipper) from Kurt easily and for a reasonable price. I'm sure the maggiolina would be tougher, but for the extra cost, I can replace my cover a few times, but I doubt I'll ever have to again.
Good points. It's probably gonna come down to anything decent that pops up for sale on CL..... with a price that's close to what I have in my spending pocket that day.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
Imho, the Maggiolina would be the ones to avoid. Pocking a hole through the shell would be expensive. .
why? repairing fiberglass is easy and cheap. having a new heavy duty cover sewn up or a new zipper sewn in is expensive. and i don't have to dick around with trying to get a cumbersome cover on.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
why? repairing fiberglass is easy and cheap. having a new heavy duty cover sewn up or a new zipper sewn in is expensive. and i don't have to dick around with trying to get a cumbersome cover on.
I'm with Ige, I'd prefer dragging a fiberglass RTT though trees over a cloth tent.
Not many toppers get holes poked in them from branches. Personally, if I could afford a Magiollina I would be all over their carbon fiber version. Lots of space, DRY and lightweight.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili