Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
We all knew Jeremiah parted ways with PC/Miller many months ago. This is a classic case where a reputable and profitable small business was bought up by the big company and turned into a loser.
not
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Here's the post from Jeremiah over on Mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease Cruiser View Post
First of all this is Jeremiah Proffitt, not John (Grease Cruiser) John was kind enough to let me use his account, as for some reason, I can't register under my own name.

As some of you may know, I have never been much of a "board ranger" and seldom post on Ih8mud or any forum. I was informed (by many people) of this thread and I can't stand to let the speculation, bashing, and ill will go on any more.

I'm here to set the record straight. The decline and fall of Proffitt's Cruisers was my fault.

When I decided to team up with Greg Miller and LHM in 2010, Proffitt's was at it's pinnacle. We were at the top of our game, building arguably the nicest, most sano Land Cruisers found anywhere. We had a dynamic staff of loyal Cruiserheads that cared deeply about what we were doing. The quality of our work was such that the demand for it was way more than we could handle. I had a very difficult time turning down projects and we were definitely overbooked. It was for this reason that I sold to LHM. The resources that they could provide would allow me to grow Proffitt's quickly in order to handle our booming business.

The good people at LHM were very helpful in trying to transition Proffitt's to our new environment. Greg's love for Land Cruisers permeated the organization and the support was overwhelming. Despite all of this, I quickly found myself in very unfamiliar territory. Working in this very sudden change of circumstances was different and I didn't adjust quickly enough. That led to me simply missing some important calls. I made some decisions that I shouldn't have, and I didn't make some decisions that I should have. We tried to correct, but things were moving too quickly.

Not everything in this endeavor was wasted. Developing the Utah shop generated some very solid new talent for the Cruiser world. The team of techs and support staff there as well as in the Colorado shop is still second to none. I hope that they all have the opportunity to contribute to the Land Cruiser community for years to come. None of them deserve the lashings that they are taking on this forum and elsewhere. If you must blame, lay the blame on me.

Thanks to all of you have reached out to me during this tumultuous time period. Your comments and support mean a lot to me.

Jeremiah Proffitt
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
We all knew Jeremiah parted ways with PC/Miller many months ago. This is a classic case where a reputable and profitable small business was bought up by the big company and turned into a loser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
not
Agreed. Both Jermiah and Greg are stand up guys.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

former maybe later no
TLCA#4180
Old 02-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

My point was, when Jeremiah worked on my rig several years ago they did good work for a fair price and got it done in the time frame promised. Over time they got bigger and started taking on more work, maybe too much too fast. But they eventually would have come to their senses (I believe) and "right sized" their workload to what they could reasonably handle.

Then LMG stepped in and they all got stars in their eyes about manufacturing and selling lots of parts. They tried to do too much too fast. In business, many times what works on a small scale doesnt work on a larger scale.

I hope Jeremiah and/or John have the oppotunity again someday to open another small shop and go back to doing custom builds on a small scale like they did before.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Or maybe not...

We don't know all the facts about this situation.

It is possible that things are not what they seem on the surface.

I also just read the letter and I will say that yes Gregg Miller is a well off guy, with that comes a certain swagger rich guys have and maybe it influences how they go through life. However, the letter seemed very genuine to me and heart felt and gave me the sense that he bought it for his passion for Land Cruisers, tried to make a go at it, decided it was not going to work and is keeping on all employees in other capacities.

In my book that is as about as stand up as you can get in this dog eat dog capitalist world we live in.
Well, I dont believe I said anything about Greg not being a stand up guy at all. What I said was it was a succesful small business but when the big company tried to scale it up it didnt work. Thats a fact. Whether it was managed perfectly or mismanaged and who is responsible is immaterial, the fact is if it had been profitable at the scale they tried to grow it to it wouldn't have gone out of business.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Well, I dont believe I said anything about Greg not being a stand up guy at all. What I said was it was a succesful small business but when the big company tried to scale it up it didnt work. Thats a fact. Whether it was managed perfectly or mismanaged and who is responsible is immaterial, the fact is if it had been profitable at the scale they tried to grow it to it wouldn't have gone out of business.
Randy, it was in trouble when Greg bought it
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I think I addressed that above i.e. they were stretched thin and over committed. However, that alone would not have resulted in them going out of business once acquired by LMH. The addition of resources and managing new orders would have got that in order pretty quick. Even if the took on debt as part of the acquisition they did so with their eyes open and it was factored into their business case.

I think it was more a case of trying to turn your hobby into a business. They tried to scale it up too fast and burdened it with high facility costs, gearing up for mass production of parts and adding lots of people at higher wages. The little guys can survivie with a niche type business like this because they can adjust so rapidly to the ups and downs of the business. Once the business gets larger and more structured you have lots of overhead to support so you have to maintain the cash flow and margins to support it ongoing.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

but you keep saying miller took a successful company and miller ruined it. truth is jeremiah bit off more than he could chew and that was the beginning of the fall. he's not the only one to do it...look at ocd tops, sror, bahktash, most any cruiser company that starts getting a huge reputation...they get in over their head, can't keep up and fail.

pc was stretched too thin, they were starting to piss off customers by not getting stuff done that they were supposed to and/or when they were supposed to, and they half assed some stuff to get it done. after miller bought them, jeremiah still was in charge and they continued to bring in work and promise it when they couldn't get it done.

i agree that jeremiah is a great guy, and i think that greg may not have given it a good enough chance, but greg had the backing to get jeremiah what he needed to get stuff done and he still couldn't. pc was successful when it was small, but it got out of control long before lhm came in.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Fair point, but as I said before, if the only issue was over scheduling and being over committed, that should have been fixed once he released JP, put new supervisors in charge and added additional resources to get caught up.

IF YOU ARE MAKING A PROFIT and are simply behind on your commitments, you have excessive backlog, you dont close the doors and go out of business. I believe someone came to the realization that this was never going to scale up and be profitable, or at least be profitable at the level that would justify a business on this scale. The numbers didnt add up to support the business case. This would have happened whether LMH or any other large corporation had acquired them and tried the same approach.

I am not defending JP, it was probably a mess, but I believe it could have been sorted out eventually if it had stayed small.

I see this happen all the time when large corporations acquire smaller businesses that are succesful, then they manage them into failure. I wont name the names of those corporations but it should be obvious why I have first hand experience in this area