Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

How about an Excursion?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=19127

Should do all of the "truck" stuff except the hauling craploads of yardwaste and the like...It should certainly pull any toys with ease - for the occasional yard waste run you could always rent a little trailer for cheap unless it is something you'll be doing a lot of.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

in my dream world, i'd find a black 7.3l f350 four door long bed 4x4, with a manual trans in pretty good condition for under $10,000, knowing that it might have some miles on it.

Do a lot of homework on 7.3s and (if you must) 6.0s before buying such a thing. Scotty's Excursion is a sweet truck, and you can see how much work has been done to it. These are expensive trucks to maintain (2 batteries, 15 qt. oil changes, air filters, various Ford bugs (alternators, starters, ball joints, transmissions) and licensing. If you purchase 'any old Ford Super Duty' from a private party or dealer, you could be buying a ticking time bomb. Spend time on the FTE forum and read up before you buy. It's far easier buying a used Toyota, but I love my Super Duty for the big jobs.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Lifted

thanks for the forum suggestion, i'm going to check that out.

yeah i did a double take on the excursion there. but... i think i really want something with an open bed that i can toss junk into at my convenience. i don't know about the distant future, but at least this coming summer its going to earn its keep and see a ton of use for yardwork duty.

the diesels have a certain appeal... i'll admit that i just kind of -want- one. but, i'll put out there that i am not married to the idea and acknowledge that it may be more trouble than its worth.

I did briefly own one of the v10 f250's, and would consider another. Uncle Ben seams to be pretty happy with his GMC, but i don't know much about those things, despite (or because of) my father still getting a pension from those guys i've just never been a big GM fan. I know a couple of guys with Tundra's, but neither of them have used it to haul a 4x4 in the mountains so i don't really know if its a good truck for that sort of thing.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd probably lean towards a newer Tundra, with the big V8

Maybe FJBrady will chime in because he has one and tows his 40 on a trailer with it. But I don't think you'll find a newer Tundra for under $10K, even with a zillion miles on it...and certainly not with a manual
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Lifted

yeah, i'd say a newer one is likely out of the question right now. my neighbor just got one and dang thats a nice truck.

honestly, far too nice for me and what i want it for!

Maybe in the future, after i pay for my wife's fancy new MBA and some more high rise projects downtown!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Rock Stacker

I bought my last used Tacoma from Boulder Nissan. Yes, Nissan. They were great and fair on the price. I purchased another tacoma from Boulder Toyota and though they were good, they were nothing compared to how Boulder Nissan treated me and worked with me on the deal.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Lifted

Thanks everybody for the feedback and food for thought, i'm starting to get my head wrapped around this and I might waste some time looking at a couple today.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Lifted

Yellow is a deal breaker!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Lifted

well lets see... i have to say that this is actually going A LOT better than i thought. totally not the charlie foxtrot that buying the welder was. I've been finding quite a bit, and people have been extremely pleasant.

I've looked at six trucks thus far, three 7.3's, two 6.0's and a cummins. despite keeping an open mind to other options, thus far diesels are winning simply due to availability.

two of the 7.3's and one of the 6.0's were standouts as being exceptionally well taken care of and meeting all of my mechanical criteria to be acceptable for me. The cummins not so much. he thought the added guages were BY FAR its best selling point...

one of the 7.3's was a front runner in particular, while also being cheapest due to some minor body damage. if it either did not have the body damage, or was a crew cab, i'd be all over it even for a touch more money. replacing a clutch or something for me would be NBD, but bodywork is just something i don't want to deal with...

looking at another 7.3 and another 6.0 later today, both crew cabs this time.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I'd probably lean towards a newer Tundra, with the big V8

Maybe FJBrady will chime in because he has one and tows his 40 on a trailer with it. But I don't think you'll find a newer Tundra for under $10K, even with a zillion miles on it...and certainly not with a manual
How did I miss this?

Yes I do trailer my 40 with a 07 Tundra with the 5.7 V8 and it does great. I average 18 hwy empty. Tow to Moab 8 mpg at 75 mph, I get 11 mpg if I hold it to 65.

I have had the truck for three years with zero problems.

______