Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
Remington Model 700 in 30-06 is a great all around gun. I prefer the rifles with wood(CDL) or fiberglass stocks (XCR tactical). (I am not a fan of the new plastic stock versions).
308 Winchester is also another pretty universal caliber. It is a bit on the light side if you are going for a trophy bull, but will work wonders on deer and cow elk.
If you can tolerate more recoil then 7mm, 300 win mag/ 300RUM or 338 Lapua/338 RUM are some of the better choices for Bull Elk. They of course all tend to be heavier rifles and have more recoil. Recoil can be a real turnoff and hinder good marksmanship training for beginners so try one of the bigger calibers before you just buy one. Also don't go cheap on the glass. Many people will spend a thousand bucks on a rifle and then put a 100 dollar scope on it. As a general rule the scope should cost as much or more than the rifle.

Hmmmm....I totally agree on the Rem 700 in 30-06 for a all around great rifle for any game in North America. You can find used 06's everywhere and since it's a NATO round, ammo is cheap and plentiful. John's list is good but he left out the Winchester Short Mags. Nearly identical ballistics to their long cased brothers but done in a short action rifle more efficiently. Mag's are over sold to the "bigger is best" crowd and few of them ever are used to make ethical long distance shots that they are designed for! Again, one long gun in the cabinet...30-06 is hard to beat! Scopes, I have to pull my punches as I once was but will never ever be a Leopold fan again. Customer service is the best out there but I would rather have a scope that doesn't need to get sent back! Nikon is my choice for medium priced optics. If they can hold up to what I shoot they can handle normal recoil!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I shoot a Savage 300 Winchester short mag and I love that gun. I've hit good paper (and prairie dogs) at longer distances than I expected. Mine has the accutrigger as well and man I LOVE that trigger, but that caliber lets you know (for a few days) when you don't have it pulled tight to the shoulder. Before that I shot a Ruger 308 Win that I think I like more than the 300 WSM. It's controllable on the fly, accurate, and its range is quite impressive.

Scopes I've used include Burris. That's it. It's what my Dad bought and I'm not complaining. what I really like though is the ballistic crosshairs. Easy to aim and judge range quickly.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Hmmmm....I totally agree on the Rem 700 in 30-06 for a all around great rifle for any game in North America. You can find used 06's everywhere and since it's a NATO round, ammo is cheap and plentiful. John's list is good but he left out the Winchester Short Mags. Nearly identical ballistics to their long cased brothers but done in a short action rifle more efficiently. Mag's are over sold to the "bigger is best" crowd and few of them ever are used to make ethical long distance shots that they are designed for! Again, one long gun in the cabinet...30-06 is hard to beat! Scopes, I have to pull my punches as I once was but will never ever be a Leopold fan again. Customer service is the best out there but I would rather have a scope that doesn't need to get sent back! Nikon is my choice for medium priced optics. If they can hold up to what I shoot they can handle normal recoil!
I have had experiences with the Nikon scopes as well. In regards to Leupold I have managed to break a few var-x III scopes. The Mark 4 tactical scopes have been bullet proof.
I also agree that there are some great short magnum cases as well. In regards to Savage they are putting out some very accurate and reliable rifles. My preference toward Remington is because I am most familiar with them and there are a ton of great after market parts for them.
There are some 6.5 calibers I have been kicking around for my next bolt gun. From a bullet external ballistics stand point it is incredibly efficient. (super high BC vs bullet weight). I just can't decide which cartridge (6.5 Creedmoore, 260 Remington,6.5-284, etc) that is why I didn't throw it into the ring. Also they tend to be a bit on the small side for Elk but perfect for deer.

I don't own a Burris but I have heard good things about their upper end scopes. In regards to BDC(ballistic drop compensator) reticles and knobs I avoid them. They are calibrated to a single cartridge at a given velocity, altitude and atmospheric condition set. (yes I know the Marines issued them to some shooters in Iraq.) I you plan on using a reticle for holdovers I prefer to use some form of mil-reticle and calculate the hold over for the conditions I will likely be shooting in for that day. (You can get very powerful ballistics software for most smart phones these days). I like shooter for iphone and Applied Ballistics for Android.
I apologize for the info overload. (I really love rifles)
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube

Last edited by Snowrun; 02-21-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

What is he availability of ammo like for some of the less common calibers? Seems like a lot of the shelves are empty right now. I would hate to pick something up and not be able to get enough ammo for it to become familiar shooting it prior to the season.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
What is he availability of ammo like for some of the less common calibers? Seems like a lot of the shelves are empty right now. I would hate to pick something up and not be able to get enough ammo for it to become familiar shooting it prior to the season.
Most of the local Walmarts still have 30-06 and 7mm in stock. I can still get 308 win but I have to usually order it online.

(www.gunbot.net) <<<<<<you can also find 5.56 and AR mags here. (for guys that are looking)(I use it to find 308)

To compare ammo prices here are a few other links
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com
http://www.luckygunner.com/
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have Remmington 700 30-06 with a Leupold scope. I got the fiberglass stock and stainless barrel just for ease of cleaning and care. It is a good gun.

Been dragged through the muck, snow, and dropped several times in bad falls in the steep timber. Pretty easy to clean, and doesn't show scratches easily.

My biggest complaint is the lack of a bolt lock. The bolt often gets popped open by pack straps.

10 years ago, the scope and rifle were around 750. I'm not sure what they are now.

IMO, the 30-06 is a great rifle, and ammo is cheap. 180 grain rounds do fine on even large bull elk.

FWIW, I have never had occasion to take a shot at more than 100 yards in about 10 years, but we hunt GMU's that are usually in very tree'd areas.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post

IMO, the 30-06 is a great rifle, and ammo is cheap. 180 grain rounds do fine on even large bull elk.

FWIW, I have never had occasion to take a shot at more than 100 yards in about 10 years, but we hunt GMU's that are usually in very tree'd areas.
Agree with everyone else about the .30-06. There's a reason why .30-06 is so popular. It shoots easy and doesn't break your arm or wallet. Growing up in the North East, a 7MM mag is a little overkill for those whitetail, but still very popular. But, the mule deer out here are much bigger. I've seen a 7MM mag waste a lot of whitetail meat if the shot is just slightly misplaced. And, that thing barks pretty loud!

Shooting a few would really help. Some rifles fit better than others. Being able to shoot relaxed and and confident in any caliber (big or small) is always better than nervous and "flinchy". You'll shoot 2 boxes of .30-06 to every 7mm box and spend the same money. That's more practice for when your knees knock together and you scramble to find that monster in your scope!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

.30-06 for a one gun hunter in CO or North America for that matter IMO.

On a budget I'd buy a Savage 16/116 FHSS. I prefer a plastic stock in the field and a stainless barrel. Both offer advantages in bad weather. Savage is know for out of the box accuracy. They also have a unique trigger design.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I hunt with a Browning, Stainless Stalker .30-06 that I like very much. If I would have had a couple hundred more to spend I would have got a Kimber Montana.

Pay attention to the safety designs of different models. Make sure you like that aspect of what ever you choose.

Scope, I'm a Leupold user and have no complaints. Nikon, Burris, and Vortex would be other companies I'd look at personally. You generally get what you pay for there. You want something with a 3-4 power low end as that is most likely the setting you'll take actual hunting shots with. Higher setting are nice at the range for sighting in. I'm not a fan of the fancy reticles personally. As a rule of thumb I'd plan to spend 50% of the cost of a rifle on the scope or more. Sight yourself in a 200yards and know how to adjust each way in the field based on ballistics of your hunting rounds.

All and all most guns shoot better than the hands they are in anyway.

You want to budget a good pair of binoculars too if you don't already have some.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

I will also add its hard to find another round that has more of a variety of factory loads available than .30-06. I like 180g for Elk personally. Smaller for deer. And for a large hunting caliber its a cheap as anything.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

As squishy said you really cannot beat Savage and Burris for really inexpensive but accurate shooting. .308 is very accurate though it drops more than a WSM. I personally do not care for. 30-06. There are fare more consistent and accurate yet reasonable rounds available... but the ought 6 has brought home meat.

Do NOT assume you won't shoot longer distances. Don't limit yourself right out of the gate. A Savage Accu-Trigger . 308 with a Burris 4.5-14 x 42 ballistic plex reticle scope will do it ALL and not kill the pocketbook. Savage builds the most accurate barrels and reliable actions to be found in inexpensive iron.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.