Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Remember when you find no elk and the deer elude you... there is always Wyoming antelope. You will thank me you will be able to reach them.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I'm a fan of the .06 if you're only going to have 1 rifle or your first. The recoil is manageable and the brass and availability is the greatest. close seconds are .308 and .270. All of them will kill elk, deer, antelope, pigs, etc. Your familiarity with and shooting it will provide the greatest accuracy. After having one and finding out what you like you might personalize one for a certain species of find something you like better.

It's like buying 40. later you decide a 60 is nice for exp trips since it hauls more. Then you buy a hilux for chores around the house your doing, then 80 or 100 for the wife and kids. Do you need all those, no. You can make the 40 work for everything. Other things may do better for specific things but in the long run it's tough to beat a 40 and it's always reliable. same with an .06 You may eventually decide on something else like a 300mag, 338, 7mm or something you just happen to like but it's always good to have that solid base to make/base your decisions on.
TLCA#4180
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the insight and advice, good stuff!

I like the looks, weight and reviews of the Savage 11 Lightweight hunter in 30-06. Prices on Gunbroker look like it's in the $800 range which will leave me some budget for a scope. Now if I could find one locally to check out. Any recommendations for a good local shop?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

pre 64 winchester model 70.. u have plenty of time to locate a nice one...
TLCA#4180
Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
pre 64 winchester model 70.. u have plenty of time to locate a nice one...
Actually, probably one of the best forest gub ever made was the Winchester 94 in 30-30 or
.32 Winchester. My fil's 32 has taken more game than anything in his gub cabinet!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

There are two guns I love to shoot. Lever action rifles and black powder revolvers. I don't know what it is, but they're great. The Savage is a great rifle, you can't go wrong with something like that, or anything previously mentioned. However, since you're not going gun crazy why not get something different. How about a Browning BLR Lightweight Takedown in 30-06? It's a lever action you can do anything with it. This isn't my pic, it's one I pulled off the web of a moose taken with a BLR '06.
Attached Images

"If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone."

"We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness."
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

I really like lever actions but haven't considered one since it didn't seem like there were many options for an elk/deer gun as far as calibers go, 30-30 and 45-70 but is there anything between that will do both? .32 win spcl, .35 rem, how easy is it find (rifle/ammo), and is it enough for elk? I hadn't looked closely at the BLR's but those could work. Looks like the prices for used are pretty fair too.

I like the Model 70 too, but seems like finding a lightweight in good shape that's within my budget might be hard, and I have no experience purchasing older firearms and would be concerned about buying something with issues.

I think my biggest criteria is still that it needs to be easy to carry, which makes that Savage lightweight appealing since it's 6Lbs and a 20" barrel. Biggest problem seems to be that every manufacturer is back ordered on new stuff.

Last edited by MDH33; 02-23-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

A savage should not be too hard to find. All the gub shops down here have them on the rack now. I have not bothered to check closely what calibers though. I'd just call around. No one is in fear of the government taking away hunting rifles at this time.

I like lever actions too but the recoil of a 45-70 is stout. And a 30-30 is on the light side IMO for Elk. It will do the job but you have to be that much better with your bullet placement. There is not really anything between. Plus due to the rifle's magazine design your limited with bullet design for safety reason.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Lifted

.270 and 30-06 are still fully stocked on most of the ammo shelves I've visited recently. This would be my choice. I've also fondled a Howa (Japanese) bolt rifle recently. I have to say it was pretty smooth, inexpensive, and has a fine accuracy reputation. Same barreled action as the weatherby vanguard and comes with the houge over mold stock that felt great, and would be fine for hunting duty. $530 or so with a starter optic (nikkor stirling, gets good reviews on the aussie forums, but not really sold here in the US) that could at least let you shoot while you wait for a killer Nikon or Leupold deal...

Good luck, have fun!
M.

Edit: That being said, can't go wrong with a Savage!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Also keep in mind the lighter the gun the more recoil you will receive. Not an issue in the field. You notice that at the range. A limb saver butt pad is a good investment. I can shoot my 06 all day now.
2004 Starcraft 10RT