Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

A guy posted this in the 100 Series section of MUD a few weeks ago. He proudly exclaimed it was the "Best mod under $50". I'm gonna go ahead and put it out there......this ain't the way to carry it, people will get killed. This picture should have a big red DON'T going across it.

100 Series owners....
Attached Images

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun member

That's fine when it's all nice and shiny and never been used, but what do you do after you've been dragging it around in the mud and snow and actually using it?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
That's fine when it's all nice and shiny and never been used,
That's the only time they are safe

______
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I've never used my Hi-Lift on the trail. It's still brand new. I usually carry it, bolted down in the back..... but I also carry a block of wood and my bottle jack. I'm more comfortable using that if I can. Our Jack-it Meeting is perfect for me and I hope to gain some real world knowledge on the do's and don'ts of hi-lifts. I don't care about getting anything dirty as much as I do about it killing me or a passenger in my truck.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

If the lower strap wasn't a bungie it wouldn't be the worst ever in theory. Knotted 5.5mm Spectra is rated at 14 kN, which is about 3,100 lbf. You've got problems if your passenger compartment mounted 40 pound (18kg) Hi-Lift gets to 14 kN. That's a deceleration on the order of 65 MPH to zero in .05 seconds. Mind you not the car, but the cargo. You'd have to hit an absolutely immovable object. A bungie, yeah, that's gonna break going over a speed bump at Safeway.

That said, if there aren't two 3/8" bolts holding down my Hi-Lift, I don't feel comfortable.

I've used my Hi-Lift a few times. One time as a jack during a field leaf spring re-weld. Another, before I had a winch, I had to recover myself 4 feet at a time out of a snow-filled ditch after skiing up at Butler Gulch.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Mine is simply laying on the floor of my 80's cargo area under my dog platform. In an accident it can't really go anywhere. The platform is bolted down. So it might make a thump on its bottom side at most. Hate it there but have not made the time to redesign a tire carrier on my swing out with a mount for the jack yet. But it will be on the swing arm by CM13.

I tried the front bumper mount but did not like it blocking view and access to the engine compartment. Roof rack seems like a accident waiting to happen during access to it. No where is perfect but I like the swing arm the best. If I'm pinned and I can't get to the jack then I can't get to the tire and its all a moot point.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

I recently bought this for my load warrior rack. I really like it and its really secure.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab

"Apollo"-1988, 2001 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: SAS, Duals.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Lifted

I used to keep mine on the front bumper above the winch. Last summer I moved the HiLift to the back. I like it a lot more.
KD0WJN
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Mine is on the rear of my ARB roof rack on my FJC. Did not like the side mount for the same reason as Brady. This way i can open the tail gate and stand on the bumper to safely remove two wing nuts and get it down. I have not ever used the jack though in the years i have been out. Only to remove the bolt sleeve in some new shocks for my _eep. At 2 am changing them was fun.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCreeper View Post
Mine is on the rear of my ARB roof rack on my FJC.
Mine is on the roof as well on the BajaRack. It rattled so much that it sounded like the truck was falling apart. I pulled the foot off and keep it in the tool bag. I also bungied the runner mechanism so it was tight and put on the neoprene cover. No rattles at all now.