Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Dirt Claude Dirt Claude is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 81
Default Birfield/Aisin Hub Issue

I'm wrapping up the front axle rebuild and disc brake conversion on my 72' FJ40 and ran into a slight issue. The Birfield shaft appears to be too long and won't let the manual dial hub mount onto the hub body.

Here's where I'm at:
- I'm told all the conversion parts came off a Toyota mini-truck, Birfields & hubs as well.
- I installed the mini Birfields onto my 72' inner axles.
- After grinding the lower portion of the axle ball to accept the slightly larger Birfield, the Birfield bell appears to be fully seated inside the axle ball.
- All gaskets and brake backing plate were installed.
- There's about a 1/4" gap between the hub body and the snap ring on the end of the axle shaft.

My first guess is that I have the "short" hub and I need the "long" hub. I wasn’t even aware there were different size hubs until I came across a picture comparing the two. What vehicles came with the long hub?

My second guess was that maybe these new Birfields I have are 76'-78' as they are longer than the 79'+ Birfields. But that couldn't be as I did have to grind out the axle ball to accept the new larger Birfield. If it was 76'-78' then the 72' axle housing would have accepted them without grinding?
Attached Images
     
__________________
Brad Cockrell
05' V8 4Runner
72' FJ40 - Resto/Mod Project
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,562
Default

Huh. From your description of all the minitruck parts I would have thought everything would work. The longer body Aisin/Asco lockouts came on '76-'78 FJ55s, and I think your only other option would be to find the longer body Warn lockouts for '76-'78 FJ40s/FJ55s.

I don't know if it matters, but is the lockout in the locked or unlocked position when you are trying to install it?
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,552
Default

Are not 76-78 axles longer than the rest? AFAIK the mini truck hub bodies are all the same length, solid axle or IFS. Maybe you need the silver faced hubs from a Pig?

Also the clip in the end of your axle on my truck is right up against the inner sleeve of the hub (what a PITA to get that on, I have to use a cheater bar). That seems to me to indicate the hub is too short, right?
__________________
'91 Toyota Pickup
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM
DenCo40's Avatar
DenCo40 DenCo40 is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: People's Republic of Denver
Posts: 170
Default

I just went through this exact thing. Currently I am installing late model Cryo'd birfs with short Aisin hubs. I have all the parts for it and just waiting for a nice day to change out the parts. I will be getting rid of my long birfs and long body Warn hubs when I am done. In case you are interested.
Long birfs 76-78 will not work with short body Aisin hubs as you can see. Long body Aisin hubs (pig hubs) are out there you just have to find them. One solution that you might be interested in that I saw on MUD, was to cut 10mm off of your long bifs and have a new C ring groove machined in.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...-question.html
__________________
UZJ100
1977 FJ40
pic
KD0WJN
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Dirt Claude Dirt Claude is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Huh. From your description of all the minitruck parts I would have thought everything would work. The longer body Aisin/Asco lockouts came on '76-'78 FJ55s, and I think your only other option would be to find the longer body Warn lockouts for '76-'78 FJ40s/FJ55s.

I don't know if it matters, but is the lockout in the locked or unlocked position when you are trying to install it?
I actually removed all the guts from the lockout and just used the dial, the back of the dial is hitting the axle shaft.
__________________
Brad Cockrell
05' V8 4Runner
72' FJ40 - Resto/Mod Project

Last edited by Dirt Claude; 02-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Dirt Claude Dirt Claude is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Are not 76-78 axles longer than the rest? AFAIK the mini truck hub bodies are all the same length, solid axle or IFS. Maybe you need the silver faced hubs from a Pig?

Also the clip in the end of your axle on my truck is right up against the inner sleeve of the hub (what a PITA to get that on, I have to use a cheater bar). That seems to me to indicate the hub is too short, right?
That's been my experience with the c-clip too, but with this setup I've got almost a 1/4" gap between the clip and the hub.
__________________
Brad Cockrell
05' V8 4Runner
72' FJ40 - Resto/Mod Project
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Dirt Claude Dirt Claude is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCo40 View Post
I just went through this exact thing. Currently I am installing late model Cryo'd birfs with short Aisin hubs. I have all the parts for it and just waiting for a nice day to change out the parts. I will be getting rid of my long birfs and long body Warn hubs when I am done. In case you are interested.
Long birfs 76-78 will not work with short body Aisin hubs as you can see. Long body Aisin hubs (pig hubs) are out there you just have to find them. One solution that you might be interested in that I saw on MUD, was to cut 10mm off of your long bifs and have a new C ring groove machined in.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...-question.html
Thanks for the link Jim, I searched MUD quite a bit last night but didn't come across that thread.

So that reconfirms my thought, the birfields I have are likely 76'-78' and will not work with the short lockout hubs. At this point I think I'll try and source some 79'+ birfields rather than stick with the older ones. 79'+ should be easier to find, they're more common as a trail spare, and I can keep my short hubs so they can stay out of the rocks. I may also trim down my current ones and have the new c-clip groove machined in.
__________________
Brad Cockrell
05' V8 4Runner
72' FJ40 - Resto/Mod Project

Last edited by Dirt Claude; 02-27-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Telly Telly is offline
Locked
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Monument
Posts: 274
Default

I have a short birf if you are interested. See this thread.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=18704
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Dirt Claude Dirt Claude is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I have a short birf if you are interested. See this thread.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=18704
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it.
__________________
Brad Cockrell
05' V8 4Runner
72' FJ40 - Resto/Mod Project
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
RicardoJM's Avatar
RicardoJM RicardoJM is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 2,305
Default

Brad, I believe that I also have a birf that will work for you.
__________________
Ricardo Maestas - Bio Page
KD0CAW
1999 LX 470
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.