Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I'd stick with a bolt for a 1st, I'm not a fan of lever actions. My personal pref though growing up with 30-30 win and a cheek pad. Hated it, I do like the single shot break actions but that is a different type of hunting.
TLCA#4180
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Those look really interesting. looks like there's even muzzleloader barrels available.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I wish I could shoot some rounds and figure out what I like, but with the info, I feel like if I make a purchase right now, it will do what I need and I can always add to the collection in the future.
I actually have a .307Win blued Encore I would make you a smoking deal on. It has open sights but I think I have some rings I'll toss in too. .307 Winchester is essentially the same as a .308. Mo better is I can let you play with it for a bit and see if a single shot break action is for you. I also have walnut stocks and a set of synthetic thumb hole stocks you can play with.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW

Savage Model 10 .308 Accutrigger ($595): http://cologunmarket.com/firearms/pr...utrigger_i2132

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I actually have a .307Win blued Encore I would make you a smoking deal on. It has open sights but I think I have some rings I'll toss in too. .307 Winchester is essentially the same as a .308. Mo better is I can let you play with it for a bit and see if a single shot break action is for you. I also have walnut stocks and a set of synthetic thumb hole stocks you can play with.
Thanks Kevin. I am going to look around a bit at some of the shops and see what's available and what feels right. I'll let you know if I decide to go the single shot route.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Martin, for your purposes I would stay with bolt action and nothing fancy. .30-06, .308, .270, .300WSM if you want BANG for your buck...

Green Mountain is fine. They do stock some reloading stuff if you want to look into that. Frankly you should check Big R up here! I picked up a Savage AccuTrigger in .243 for cheep, even the 3-9x40 Nikon drop compensation scope it came with is fine. Super accurate, super cheap. Drop-A-Lope at 500 and no pain for it. As long as you don't try to run Remington factory garbage through it.

No, .243 is not big enough for elk IMHO... good deer round though.

Big R often has a sale going on this and that. Talk to Bobby (the manager) and tell him Bill the mini horse guy sent you...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Big R down this way has a good selection of Savage stuff so I'd 2nd that resource. The Sports Authority generally is also deep in Savage.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

I checked the Big R up here. I guess I like old-school. Not a single wood stock to be seen. And the ammo shelf = empty.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ammo shelf being empty due to conspiracy websites
Wood stocks are highly overrated for field work. Really. If you must, there are some cool thumbhole laminate stocks out there and you can use one down the road. Come on by sometime and I'll show you what I did with my Ruger M77 MkII .308.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

I know what you're saying Martin about wood stocks and blued guns, but stainless and composite are getting more common because they are an improvement functionally. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on it. Does it really matter that your rifle is visually period appropriate for your FJ40?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Stainless doesn't rust and synth stocks dont scratch. Since big game hunting happens in the high country in late fall your gub will get wet and trees branches, rocks, and even your knife and other hardware on your belt will scratch the stock. Synth is also a little bit lighter and it absorbs a small bit of recoil.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior