Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,380
Default

Or maybe plug wire routing? There is a corona that forms around them when the cylinder is fired, which can short to adjacent wires or to the block. Are they held fast and have you routed them so they don't twist together?

Could be a problem that is worse in the winter than summer. Remember electrochemistry, fresh water does not conduct well but salt water does. What makes up road spray in the winter? Magnesium chloride is a salt and makes an electrolyte when dissolved in water. Might even be fine in the rain or water crossings but the increased ionic activity puts whatever problem, cracked cap, failing wire, etc. over the edge.
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Truck sounds like it is a lemon. I'll give you $5 for it right now.
For this rusty ol' rattle trap? You're too generous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Nice, next time give it a running start and floor it.


This is what ends up needing to happen when I try that...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Could be plug wires or the coil wire. Even if the dizzy stays dry inside, if the plug wires get wet they will short to ground and the plug for that wire wont fire. If it goes from not running to running in a relatively short time (less than 30 mintes) look for these types of issues. The plug wires dry out faster due to the engine heat and exposure to open air. If you get water inside the dizzy, it usually takes longer to dry out.
That sounds feasible, and exactly what I was thinking too at the time. I guess I need to use some dielectric grease at the plug connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Or maybe plug wire routing? There is a corona that forms around them when the cylinder is fired, which can short to adjacent wires or to the block. Are they held fast and have you routed them so they don't twist together?

Could be a problem that is worse in the winter than summer. Remember electrochemistry, fresh water does not conduct well but salt water does. What makes up road spray in the winter? Magnesium chloride is a salt and makes an electrolyte when dissolved in water. Might even be fine in the rain or water crossings but the increased ionic activity puts whatever problem, cracked cap, failing wire, etc. over the edge.
I doubt this is the problem - I'm using factory wires with wire clips etc. I'll look at it a little closer though and make sure I'm good

Thanks for the suggestions all - well, except for Brady
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
FJBRADY's Avatar
FJBRADY FJBRADY is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Thanks for the suggestions all - well, except for Brady
Your welcome
__________________
Steve Brady
TLCA # 19524
KD0JVZ

______
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,095
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
So I had an opportunity after work yesterday to bust snow into my in-laws place. They live up near Conifer so they've gotten about 20" of fresh in the last couple of storms.

If you listen to me talking, yes I know I'm a wussy
Man do you need some tires! Even Toyo's would be better than what you have! We could pass the hat at the next meeting.
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Man do you need some tires! Even Toyo's would be better than what you have! We could pass the hat at the next meeting.
Egg-zachary! I was taking a walk the other day and passed by a Bronco with what looked like brand new MT/Rs, and holy cow the tread is deep on those suckers! Mine are definitely way worn down!

But I'm thinking 33x12.50 for my next set - which means I need a lift! $$

Not to mention I can't decide if I should go to 4" or just go springover and 36s and be done!
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,095
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Egg-zachary! I was taking a walk the other day and passed by a Bronco with what looked like brand new MT/Rs, and holy cow the tread is deep on those suckers! Mine are definitely way worn down!

But I'm thinking 33x12.50 for my next set - which means I need a lift! $$

Not to mention I can't decide if I should go to 4" or just go springover and 36s and be done!
36's would require bunch mo mula for gears, lockers, V8, fridge, etc....
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM
FJBRADY's Avatar
FJBRADY FJBRADY is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
36's would require bunch mo mula for gears, lockers, V8, fridge, etc....
Dats wat I got and have peek fun in the snow. Just floor it I say and leave the chains at home.

minus the fridge.
__________________
Steve Brady
TLCA # 19524
KD0JVZ

______
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
36's would require bunch mo mula for gears, lockers, V8, fridge, etc....
Yep, yep, I know it $$

And my 2F was feeling none too powerful this go-round, that's why I couldn't take Brady's advice

So that's why I keep driving it as-is, trying to get by with what I have.
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,095
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Yep, yep, I know it $$

And my 2F was feeling none too powerful this go-round, that's why I couldn't take Brady's advice

So that's why I keep driving it as-is, trying to get by with what I have.
Sell the wifemobile and throw money at it.
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Sell the wifemobile and throw money at it.
I got nuthin'
__________________
Matt Miller
"Stay the Trail," "Tread Lightly," and "Leave No Trace" ethics
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.