Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Valley of the gods?

Hey All,

Saw a pic of a camspite on mud, of a trip through Valley of the Gods in the San Rafael Swell. It looks awesome. Since the gang here seems to know all of Utah I figured this is the best place to ask.

Is it the sort of route that a solo car (hj47 troopy, stock) could go into & camp, or is it tough enough that you need a group? Also, are dogs allowed, or are they off limits? It seems like it would be cool to do a day or two of camping in there before Moab maybe.

Also, I've always wondered if there is a single, mega-book out there that covers all of the cool stuff in Utah in the areas around, "South eastern Utah" that everyone here seems to go to so often? You guys always seem to have the inside dope on all the cool stuff out there, and Erica & I always seem to go to the same places, just because that is what we know & don't know where else to go.

Thanks,
Abe
Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Abe, I'm pretty sure that Valley of the Gods is a lot further South of the Swell. Completely different area. I haven't been in there, but I heard the roads are pretty tame. Lots of great spots in the Swell too if that's where you're actually heading.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Agreed, its not part of the swell.
The fact that there is no single book is why its cool. I bring about 5 books and a dozen paper maps each trip and that's not the entire collection.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Wasatch Cruisers

Valley of the Gods (Monument Valley) and the Swell are totally different place, easily traversed between in a day but each absolutely worthy of their own trip.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Trail Ready

Valley of the Gods is an area near Mexican Hat which is similar but smaller than Monument Valley and has a simple loop drive. I did it in a rental Blazer back in 2004 but saw cars on it too. There was a little "steppy" section which would probably test the clearance of most cars. A great sampling of that type of terrain though and great for pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Gods

There are some good guide books on Amazon such as:
http://www.amazon.com/4WD-Trails-Sou...st+utah+trails

The Trails Illustrated/National Geographic maps are good too.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Wincher

Those were my pics - same trip - way different areas as has been stated. The Valley of the Gods loop can be done in a 2wd car! Getting to the campsite Kurt used last year for the Swell run can be reached easily too. Both spectacular locations which is why I posted the pics.
'94 White LC; Kaymar Rear Bumper w/tire carrier; Hanna Sliders; ARB winch ready Front Bumper; Slee Transfer Case Skid Plate; BFG MT KM2 285's, OME 850/863 Heavy 2" lift, INTI Rack; Warn M12000 Winch, Snorkel; Sputnik!, M101CDN
TLCA Member #13420; KI6SGO
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

The Valley of the Gods is a pretty easy road as long as it has not just rained. Pretty area but not much to do in the Valley itself. There is alot to do around the area. If you like to hike and see ruins and pictographs order the book "Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau" by Michael Kelsey. This is a non-tecchnical book and covers all of southeast Utah and some of Colorado and Arizona. Off-road books there are alot of them - pick one. I have hiked this area for years if you need any suggestions.