Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Good pt?

I injured my back on Sunday and my doc prescribed physical therapy. Any good references? We're hoping its just muscle but I'm at a pretty consistent level of 4-5 on pain scale with out heavy duty ibuprofen. I refused muscle relaxants cause they make me feel awful and I'd rather take standard pain killers than addictive ones.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Justin, I've been able to successfully maintain a sketchy back for years by utilizing a simple stretching and exercise regimen. A book, simply titled "Stretching" by Bob Anderson, is chock full of great ways to heal and protect yourself and can be found in many used books stores for cheap. It was published ages ago but is highly regarded by physical therapists I've worked with and it is instrumental in keeping me relatively pain free.
Good luck.
Steve
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

I try to stretch but I definitely could use improvement there. Ill check that out for sure. It's an old work injury and I'm out for the week. I gotta get up and going and hey insurance will cover it right now so I'm gonna take full advantage

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Don't have a good reference, but PT is tha bomb!

I've gotten through back and leg injuries with a strict PT regimen and recovered very quickly.

However, my experience was, if you just get better and then go on with life, (which I did several times), you'll re-injure down the way. With my last back injury, as soon as I was feeling good, I took to the gym and started strengthening my back. Haven't had a sore back in 5 years, and I definitely don't shy away from lifting heavy stuff.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

careful taking Ibuprofen. read up on it. make sure you take it on a full stomach.
82 FJ40
Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sorry for your genetic inheritance!

Finding a good chiropractor has made a world of difference with my back. Pain is an indicator that things have reached a threshold... things that were not right for quite a while but you didn't notice. Address the root cause. I used to have TERRIBLE lower back problems... no more. I need an occasional 'tune up' when I abuse it but generally not lower back any more.

+1 on caution with ibuprofen. Just because it's not prescription doesn't mean it won't do some bad juju if abused.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've been going to Panorama in Golden for the last 5 months for my knee rehab, great facility and great folks there.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Performance PT on S. Wadsworth by SW plaza also a location in centenial. Rehabed shoulder, back, knee and neck. 303-948-1868 Ask for Lauren part owner and great person, she will have you up in no time trust me I will be there in three weeks for my back rehab after fusion on L4-L5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Try this: http://www.optp.com/AXIS-Black-Rolle...2#.UUxXbWS9Kc0. I haven't been to a chiropractor since discovering this... It's been 5 years. Roll across the floor while exhaling, don't be alarmed with all the "pops" you hear!!!
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner

Last edited by baja1d; 03-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Try this: http://www.optp.com/AXIS-Black-Rolle...2#.UUxXbWS9Kc0. I haven't been to a chiropractor since discovering this... It's been 5 years. Roll across the floor while exhaling, don't be alarmed with all the "pops" you hear!!!
I agree they work great but be careful, you need to learn how to use them properly. but they are great tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me