Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM

Default Need opinions of purchasing a 97 80

I was rambling about this in the tech section but I've changed directions so I'm posting here. Found a 97 80 series, 187,000, w/o lockers and a bad engine knock for $2,800. Looks to be in great shape from the pics but I need to see it for myself (I will post pictures this weekend). I've also found a 97 4.5 with 105,000 documented miles and new headgasket/checked head/seals/water pump for $1,800. I'm going from the word of the seller on the engine but by nature I'm a trusting person. A visual inspection of the engine should confirm most concerns.

Option 1: buy both and install the engine myself. With fluids and other misc. stuff, I'm budgeting $5,000.
Option 2: buy both and have the engine installed and with a warranty. Cost equals $5,500.

This all seems like a reasonable price to pay for nice DD rig with a low milage engine. Sure, lockers would be nice but I sold my built 80 and bought a 40 for wheeling. Now I just miss my 80 for overall dependability (don't get me started with my current nightmare DD). What am I not seeing as a negative to this deal? Doug
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM

I should have checked the Craiglist Highlight Thread first...now you know my plan? I was planning to go up today but work got in the way. I'm still seriously considering this as a bail out to my current DD set-up.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

My first comment was that for a DD an 80 is nice except for the gas mileage but since you owned one, you already know that.

And since you owned an 80 you know that general maintenance is not cheap in general...Yes they will run forever (almost) but an older rig like this will surely need more in the way of maintenance.

For a $500 difference in price I personally would let someone else deal with the engine swap...

I guess my general thought is things never seem to go as planned and if by the time you are done you are into this rig for $7500 will it still look to be that good of a deal? I don't know...I have a super short commute so for me the crappy gas mileage in an 80 is bearable. Otherwise I'd be looking for a DD that got in the mid 20+ mpgs
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

If both are as good as you're saying go for it. You could pull the old engine/tranny and transfer the tranny to the donor motor and slip it back in a weekend easy.

"If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone."

"We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness."
Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I was rambling about this in the tech section but I've changed directions so I'm posting here. Found a 97 80 series, 187,000, w/o lockers and a bad engine knock for $2,800. Looks to be in great shape from the pics but I need to see it for myself (I will post pictures this weekend).
Step one, make sure it is what you think it is. Don't get emotional and make sure you look at it really good.

Quote:
I've also found a 97 4.5 with 105,000 documented miles and new headgasket/checked head/seals/water pump for $1,800. I'm going from the word of the seller on the engine but by nature I'm a trusting person. A visual inspection of the engine should confirm most concerns.
Here I am always skeptical. How is it documented? Proof of the rest of the items done? Headgasket done by who? $1800 is good money for just a motor, but it is worse if you actually end up with a core.

Quote:
Option 1: buy both and install the engine myself. With fluids and other misc. stuff, I'm budgeting $5,000.
Option 2: buy both and have the engine installed and with a warranty. Cost equals $5,500.
What is the warrantee. If you do it, "your while you are in there" costs is going to go up a lot. If a shop do it, are they going to check over the rest?

If you end up with $6k or $7 in this, is it really worth it vs just buying one for that price?

Also this only addresses the motor, what about the rest of the truck?

Quote:
This all seems like a reasonable price to pay for nice DD rig with a low milage engine.
100k miles is not really low. Also why was the headgasket done at such low mileage?

Quote:
Sure, lockers would be nice but I sold my built 80 and bought a 40 for wheeling. Now I just miss my 80 for overall dependability (don't get me started with my current nightmare DD). What am I not seeing as a negative to this deal? Doug
Unforeseen costs making it spiral into a mess. Second is time, unless you like wrenching it might not be the best investment of your time.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you could do this for $4K, it might be more of a "sure thing" if there is such a thing!

As Christo mentions, there are a lot of things you would want to do "while your there". Maintenance items that would really make sense to do with the engine out of the way. The vehicle is still nearly 20 years old and has a lot of miles on the original vehicle. I would want to know if the radiator has been changed with a quality radiator? Fan clutch? All hoses? Front oil pump seal on the newer engine? Plugs, wires, air intake hose, etc, etc, etc. All of these things add up very quickly to another $1K or so and that doesn't even account for any axle maintenance that needs to be done.

So, for $4K...I would feel better about it.

Lastly on the lockers....the resale for an 80 with lockers in CO is about $3K more than vehicles without. BTW...it costs a bit more than $3K to add the ARBs and change the gears (unless you can do every bit of it yourself). I just did it, so I know it's not cheap.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks for all the honest feedback. The guy ended up selling the 80 to someone yesterday afternoon anyway. He texted me at 4:30. Probably a good thing in the long run. Did someone here pick it up?

Since this rig will be a DD and must be high ground clearance (I do a fair amount of driving around construction sites), I'm thinking a 4runner would be an ideal rig for me. Off to search some more!