Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Baofeng HT - How are they?

Baofeng are latest in super inexpensive Ham HTs...only 4W, but like $40-$50 each.

Nakman, did you get yours yet? How are they?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Just came in yesterday! simultaneously the niftiest and most annoying radio I own, all at the same time.. the rubber duck antenna seems to work great, but the threads are opposite every other HT antenna I have. Which means I'd need to get a male to male coupler if I wanted to run a different one, and I can also screw two antennas together. But the charging base is pretty trick- just drop it in and it charges- no more digging for the right AC adapter... that in itself makes this a cool radio.

it works great in simplex, I was able to type in 146.460 and talk to myself in the truck instantly, I only had to change the default frequency step from 25kHz to 2.5 kHz to dial it in. then I plugged in 462.6375 and was able to talk to Gavin on his wristwatch walkie talkie channel 4... cool, just what I was hoping. Kept it at 1 watt to keep the copters at bay...

I flipped it to dual mode (option 7) and the radio seemed to randomly select between A and B. that was a little annoying. Then I just programmed in 2 repeaters, took a while to figure out but the settings you need are options 25 and 26, same as I think 38-39 on the Yaesu.. but once saved, the settings changed for everything in the memory. Meaning I was now transmitting at a negative -offset on 146.460 simplex, because that's what I needed to hit the last repeater I programmed. And when I changed T-CTS option 13 from 123hz to 107.2hz to program the 145, well now that changed the 145.310 memory to 107.2 as well. you gotta be kidding me...

I was able to transmit onto the 145.310, the 145.145, and 146.460, but never when trying to save one or the other to memory, as it would alter the settings of the other two. After a brief search, it sounds like I need to get the optional computer cable to program in the repeaters, as it just doesn't work using the radio interface... a firmware glich they say.

Anyway, for $40 I'm still happy- I'll be able to monitor the kids a little easier while camping this summer and even yak back if I have to, plus I've got a cheap hand-held to toss in a non-Ham truck on a club run to let someone else monitor.. The LED flash light is kind of cool, and it'll play a little alarm if you want, beyond that I'd rather spend my time programming one of my Yaesu radios for repeaters. But heck for $40? still worth it.

edit: I got the Baofeng UV-5R from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...ywords=baofeng

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'll bring them to the meeting in case anyone wants to mess with it, let me know!

edit: And Shawn if you order one, may as well get the cable too :0 http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Ca...ref=pd_sim_e_8

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well judging by the phenomenal amount of responses here, I am going to speculate that everyone didn't run out and order a Baofeng. However, BJTLC100 and I are going to meet at Jeffco Fairgrounds a little early on 4/3 to program his HT, hopefully using laptop and cable technology. If anyone is interested in that, you're welcome to join.. thinking around 6:30? If it's snowing sideways we'll be over at Stevenson. This will be the first ever "Baofeng HT's in 100's" run, but all vehicles & radios are welcome providing they have a selectable transfer case and 2m propagation.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Lifted

Hey Nakman, not to hijack the thread or anything but If you have a moment on 4-3. Maybe you can show me around on my yeasu a little. I've been listening little on it and studying for the test as well. Most likely Jenny Cruiser and I will be at the fairgrounds for the recovery meeting..
KD0WJN
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah sure man you bet, come on out early! I will shoot to be there by 6:30.. need to get there early anyway to setup the demos, direct parking, etc. Which Yaesu did you end up getting?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Yeah sure man you bet, come on out early! I will shoot to be there by 6:30.. need to get there early anyway to setup the demos, direct parking, etc. Which Yaesu did you end up getting?
I picked up a vx-7r. After reading up on what most people have I figured I would get a popular model...
KD0WJN
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looking forward to meeting more RS members and getting my new Baofeng HT unit up and running! See you guys on Wednesday! (My 16 yr old son and a buddy may be tagging along! They are super excited!)

Brad (BJTlC100)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJTLC100 View Post
Looking forward to meeting more RS members and getting my new Baofeng HT unit up and running! See you guys on Wednesday! (My 16 yr old son and a buddy may be tagging along! They are super excited!)

Brad (BJTlC100)
Glad to see you can make it Brad. Looking forward to having you in the club!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Lifted

I have an older UV-3R and a UV-5R...both good little radios once you figure out the quirks and how to program them. The Yahoo groups for the radios are super informative, so if you get one I recommend becoming a member & subscribing or just going through some of the old posts.

The 3R seemed like a toy, but worked great when I used it around town. The 5R feels substantial and is a big step up IMO.

I have not seen the 7R yet.....must resist...

W0ALE / Dave