Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Didn't want to pull the box off and had no plans to box the frame. But gusseting might be necessary and if that happens the box comes off and the frame gets boxed. We do intend this as our everday and road trip truck and expect at least a decade more service from it. The thing runs great and doesn't rattle or even have worn off switch labels and stuff. :-/

This truck probably won't even get an ARB or anything, at least no time soon. Heck, who knows, this one might not be around in 10 years because of the rust and Imelda gets her wings in a 3.4L swap...

I do need a rear bumper. Mine is still bright and shiny but has a dimple in it. I was thinking about getting one from Brian up at Front Range so I also get a receiver and shackle points at the same time. But the prospect of $600 and doing more frame resto than I thought, I put that on the back burner.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Lifted

Are you sure it was 2001? My 2002 doesn't have it but my dads 2003 does. The throttle bodies are definitely different.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
... The throttle body on my '91 has a channel parallel to the pedal actuated cable, which I believe held a second cable for the cruise control actuator.
That's basically how the '97 3RZ-FE is set up. I was kinda curious about the column buttons and indicator lighting though too. I'll call Toyota and see what's up.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
...and Imelda gets her wings in a 3.4L swap......
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Sounds good!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
That's basically how the '97 3RZ-FE is set up. I was kinda curious about the column buttons and indicator lighting though too. I'll call Toyota and see what's up.
Scott says no
Rising Sun Bio
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradobound View Post
Are you sure it was 2001? My 2002 doesn't have it but my dads 2003 does. The throttle bodies are definitely different.
The first year the ETCS appeared was 2001, but it is apparently very rare. Seems it's only Limited. It might also be a Taco vs. 4Runner thing, a lot of things show up in the 4Runner that are either rare or nonexistent in pickups. I think by 2004 all 3.4L engines had it, though. You are 100% correct, there is no question with or without, the throttle bodies, the accelerator cable, etc. are different.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Scott says no
There are aftermarket options that work the same way with a cable that pulls the throat plate and essentially ignores the pedal totally, so that might be a possibility. The only downsides I could see to them were (1) quality and (b) less tight integration. We'll see about the quality vis-a-vis the frame nonsense but integration seems to favor factory.

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...003/toytac9504

Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds good on the frame. Give a holler if you decide you wanna gusset or box it in.

Cheers!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Will do, thanks. I think for now I'm going to clean and coat it as best I can.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Sounds good on the frame. Give a holler if you decide you wanna gusset or box it in.

Cheers!
The more I think about the more I convince myself to do something. :-) I'm gathering stuff to clean up the rust, paint it and rustproof it. So might as well do some frame strengthening now before I coat everything and put the camper on it.

Yes, you are right Nakman...

From what I see fully boxing in the frame might be more work than I think is necessary, though (would prefer not to remove the box for one). You have more experience with Tacos than me. I'd want to retain the stock BPV, shock, gas tank and spare mounts.

I've also seen people weld reinforcement to the outside of the frame over the axles. Does this really help prevent the frame from rippling under the box? If so this might be an option that's easier and achieves some of the benefits. I'll probably order up CBI's plates, I like the looks of them.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/store/p...products_id=98

I also see some people reinforce the front frame horns. I might one day put a bumper on, but even if not, is this section of frame known to be weak in a non-SAS situation? What about the section that transitions down from the box to parallel under the cab, forward of the spring hanger? Isn't that the spot where most frames eventually rust and bend?