Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Lifted

I'll grab frame and engine numbers sometime when I feel like getting grubby.

Not sure if the fuel pump is oe, but it's mechanical and labled kyosan or something similar.

I'll try to get a plug on that open tube on the carb... I actually thought it had a plug on it until you mentioned it.

How can you tell the year of the carb? Is it possible they were using these carbs in 77 if we both have them or is it a common replacement?

After reading more about registering in different counties, I think I'm going to try to pass the visual with what I have, an air rail and smog pump (assuming I can find both) and then see if I can tune it to pass. Trying to find all the little bits and pieces seems daunting and probably not necessary... Am I on the right track?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

federal spec

front main seal leak is common. you'll need a front main seal and the timing cover gasket, along with a tube of fipg. get oe toyota...the felpro seals are crap. do at least, the lower radiator hose while you're there.

kyosan is oe.

the carb will have a number/letter sequence stamped on it...that relates to build date.

if you have an airrail, i think pighead has one, but we don't know what vintage. if we spot it see what we can find out.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun member

I asked about the fuel pump because there isn't a return line hooked up from the carb which there should be.

A smog pump, ABV and air rail should just about do the trick for passing smog if it's running right, and good news is they're easy to find. The harder parts to find will be the BVSV, VTV, 2 VSVs and vacuum surge tank, as that stuff is specific to 77. That is, assuming you would want to return it back to the oem configuration and don't want to pay SOR prices. Do you still have electrical plugs on the driver side apron for the VSVs? Do you still have the charcoal canister?

It's probably just a coincidence that yours and mine both have 78 carbs, SOR has excellent pictures for reference.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 04-02-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Rising Sun member

Oops never mind you do have a return line, I just couldn't see it at first.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
I'll grab frame and engine numbers sometime when I feel like getting grubby.

Not sure if the fuel pump is oe, but it's mechanical and labled kyosan or something similar.

I'll try to get a plug on that open tube on the carb... I actually thought it had a plug on it until you mentioned it.

How can you tell the year of the carb? Is it possible they were using these carbs in 77 if we both have them or is it a common replacement?

After reading more about registering in different counties, I think I'm going to try to pass the visual with what I have, an air rail and smog pump (assuming I can find both) and then see if I can tune it to pass. Trying to find all the little bits and pieces seems daunting and probably not necessary... Am I on the right track?
Yes! Rock Auto actually has decent air pumps for the best price I have found. Or I may have a non-working one that at least looks the part. You are missing a bunch of vaccuum tubing, but that may be overlooked. You will definitely need an air rail hooked up to an apparently functioning air pump. A probably a nicely leaned-out carb tune.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I asked about the fuel pump because there isn't a return line hooked up from the carb which there should be.

A smog pump, ABV and air rail should just about do the trick for passing smog if it's running right, and good news is they're easy to find. The harder parts to find will be the BVSV, VTV, 2 VSVs and vacuum surge tank, as that stuff is specific to 77. That is, assuming you would want to return it back to the oem configuration and don't want to pay SOR prices. Do you still have electrical plugs on the passenger side apron for the VSVs? Do you still have the charcoal canister?

It's probably just a coincidence that yours and mine both have 78 carbs, SOR has excellent pictures for reference.
I have electrical connections on the driver's side apron... I thought that was where all this stuff lived? If not, I'm not sure what these connections are for.

No charcoal canister... I don't think, where does it live?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
Yes! Rock Auto actually has decent air pumps for the best price I have found. Or I may have a non-working one that at least looks the part. You are missing a bunch of vaccuum tubing, but that may be overlooked. You will definitely need an air rail hooked up to an apparently functioning air pump. A probably a nicely leaned-out carb tune.
Rock auto... I'll search for that!

I hear the shop at broadway and Arapahoe in boulder knows how to tune these things to pass if I can pass the visual. That's my goal as of now... I may try to return to oe equipment down the road, but getting plates is the priority!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Rising Sun member

The driver side apron is where this stuff lives, that's why I asked about the plugs. The charcoal canister lives near the distributor

Last edited by subzali; 04-02-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Lifted

I didn't scour the passenger side as well. I'll look tonight.

Anybody have a picture of a complete '77 engine bay?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
I didn't scour the passenger side as well. I'll look tonight.

Anybody have a picture of a complete '77 engine bay?
Oops I meant driver. Sorry shouldn't type when tired.