Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

retails for 1400 bucks last I looked? I've had mine for 5 years or so and its flawless and pulls hard.

Maybe HE never used it can't say I'd be afraid of that winch.

If he'll bring it down somewhere I'll bring it out.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree with Jeremy...

I'm sure you've looked around at what brand new will cost. I just checked Winch Depot and there are 2 versions of the XP? One is $1400 and the other is $1300 with free shipping. The $1300 qualifies for a $100 mail in rebate making it $1200 so you are still saving quite a bit.

All in all, the winch looks to be in good shape...I've seen a lot worse but I'm guessing that at a minimum that winch was mounted on something for awhile. Maybe it was never actually used in a recovery but the cable was unspooled. Really though, if it was mounted and the person set the winch up correctly, you'd unspool the cable and respool it under load before using it.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Rock Stacker

so what do you guys think? buy the winch for $900, add a synthetic rope and hawse fairlead for $250-300, which comes out to be about $1150-1200. Or should I buy a Zeon 10-s for $1150 plus tax(where I have to relocate the solenoid but comes with synthetic line), or a brand new 9.5 XP-s for $1549 plus tax(which fits perfect and comes with synthetic line). Is it a big deal if the winch has been mounted awhile, perhaps been subject to snow and rain inside, or such a great deal because it looks new and the owner says its never been used. What would you guys do?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Rock Stacker

I just sent him this email after he inquired about whether I found someone to make the purchase for me.

"Marco,
Sorry, its been a busy weekend. Heres the deal. I got a guy in Denver that you can deliver the winch too. I told him about the winch and that it has never been used. It should look brand new correct? I told him that if it appears new and un-used than to make the purchase. So I need to know if its been sitting in your garage since new, mounted on a vehicle since you purchased it, or anything else. I hate to screw up a deal because a friend of mine assumes he will be buying a winch that looks like it just came out of the box, yet its got a little sun fade on it because its been mounted but never used. I ask because the cable doesnt look tightly spooled on the drum like from the factory and the solenoid is sitting on top. Let me know the details. Im all for making this happen, just have to know the details. Whats your schedule like and when can you make it up to Denver with it?"
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Rock Stacker

my schedule is tight this week, but let me know if you need a hand with this...work in denver and could meet the guy if you don't already have somebody lined up..i won't be out in moab til thursday morning however, so it won't be there in time for the overnight.

just got an xd9000 off a guy on CL who had it on his fj before he sold it...said he only used it twice...took it all apart to clean and re-grease everything and the wear on the drum and housing definitely say that he used it more than he said...hard to really believe everything that people say on CL..

but that said, it still looks like a clean winch...if the connections appear clean, the drum doesn't appear too marred up and the housing isn't too banged up, at least it wasn't abused and you'd most likely get MANY years of great pulls out of the thing..

had an issue with the one i got too with poor wires..he didn't take care of them and had exposed wires in the ground wire..so that's another thing to look at..i had him take $20 off for the wire issue and missing mounting bolts..i just reused my solenoid, wires and mounting bolts off my m8000 so i wasn't concerned..
Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I agree, there is no doubt that winch has been mounted and has been spooled out and back in (rather sloppily I might add). It is a used winch and is not as represented. If it had originally been represented properly as a used winch then I would say that is a fair deal, not a screaming deal by any stretch. Since it isn't being represented properly I would distrust other things about the seller/winch.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
so what do you guys think? buy the winch for $900, add a synthetic rope and hawse fairlead for $250-300, which comes out to be about $1150-1200. Or should I buy a Zeon 10-s for $1150 plus tax(where I have to relocate the solenoid but comes with synthetic line), or a brand new 9.5 XP-s for $1549 plus tax(which fits perfect and comes with synthetic line). Is it a big deal if the winch has been mounted awhile, perhaps been subject to snow and rain inside, or such a great deal because it looks new and the owner says its never been used. What would you guys do?
I know zero about Zeon winches so no help there...It would be a lot different if you could see this winch in person. It "seems" like a good deal...Not a screaming deal but if it were it would probably already be long gone...

IMO it isn't a big deal that the winch has been mounted and subject to the elements...They are designed to be out in the elements (even though I keep mine covered - but that is mostly to keep the UV off the syn line). But like Zepp said...if the seller claimed the winch was brand new and never mounted then it would appear his misrepresented what he had or tried to oversell it. If he never said it was never mounted but just that it was unused then eh, I could believe that. It isn't like the cable forms to the drum so the minute you unmount a winch the cable starts getting all squirrely and personally you don't much care about the cable.

In the end it comes down to how much peace of mind $350 more and brand new would buy you? If that used winch needs nothing but to be mounted and syn line spooled on then bonus...If you need to tear it apart and do a rebuild then suddenly it isn't such a great deal anymore...

I'll just say again that from what I've seen winches tend to hold there value pretty well and it is amazing how much even really crappy looking winches sell for...I've seen some that look like they've been sitting at the bottom of a mud pit listed for $500...don't know if they sold for that but you never know
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Looks like more trouble than it's worth. Have you read about the HF Badlands winches? http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-rec...inches-16.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Wincher

I love my Iron Man winch, and it was cheap too...lots of options.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

anyone have a 12k Badlands winch from HF? lots of good info and good reviews on MUD...not bad for $300 or so

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-rec...t-winches.html
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11