Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow, sweet! So silly question, but without door handles how to you get in?

And that wood deck should attach easy to that 2x6 frame.. I'd use hurricanes ties with the little tico nails.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

I put big ass solenoids inside the doors that are remote controlled and keyless ignition so all you need is a remote to get in and drive. On the steering column, I replaced the ignition switch with a push button that pops the passenger door from inside.
The 2x6 frame is just to push it around the garage and keep it low enough to work on. I tried it down the hill in front of my house but the steering and brakes are **** on that frame!
When it finds its home on the chassis behind that vette motor though, should move along quite nicely!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Cool truck.

I was just turned on to this company when I was looking for wood epoxy for a guitar project. they specialize in boating materials, epoxies, varnishes, etc.

Jamestown Distributors

I'm sure they will have some kind of good weather resistant coating for your bed wood.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Being from South Florida and just sold my 1957 Willys Pick Up truck which had a oak bed with metal strips like you are thinking about. Oak is the only way to go and go with marine spar varnish. It has good UV protection and you do not need to strip it every few years, just lightly sand and apply another coat. You will need about 4 coats to start with to make it shine like you want.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToy View Post
I put big ass solenoids inside the doors that are remote controlled and keyless ignition so all you need is a remote to get in and drive. On the steering column, I replaced the ignition switch with a push button that pops the passenger door from inside.
The 2x6 frame is just to push it around the garage and keep it low enough to work on. I tried it down the hill in front of my house but the steering and brakes are **** on that frame!
When it finds its home on the chassis behind that vette motor though, should move along quite nicely!
I absolutely would like to get together for a beer in Moab. I'd like to shave my doors as well. As soon as Marlin Crawler sends my axle parts I can move my 40 & get to my table saw. Should only be another month.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I can second Jamestown, have used them for locally difficult to find things. I used to recommend Painter's Supply on Santa Fe for 3M but they have just about gotten completely out of stocking 3M and so I've gone to mail order out of sloth. There are several marine supplies around town plus Plasticare and ePlastic for just about everything in epoxy, resins and the like.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Trail Ready

Yes, as was mentioned above red oak is a poor choice as it is not weather resistant at all.

If you are using an "oak" then use white oak which is harder and much more resistant to weather and rot.

Two other great domestic choices which are even more weather and rot resistant and maybe even harder than white oak are black locust and osage orange (hedge apple). Both are a bit yellow when freshly planed but will age to a brown shade with exposure to some sun.

There are also many South American imports which are better than any of the above woods and very hard. I've used ipe many times and is is ridiculous. Heavy, hard and durable. Great stuff. You can get ipe and many others at http://www.advantagelumber.com/ and I'm sure ipe probably available through some of the better home center places.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm thinking the oak that they sell is white oak. From what I know of wood, red oak would not be appropriate, as you point out.
Travis, the easiest way to 'shave' is to have a donor door that you can cut patches from. It saves a ton of time and effort shaping new steel. So, here's my question, do you know if the 69 is significantly different than a 64 in terms of door sheet metal shape? I have several doors here, along with a ton of extra parts, that I am hauling to the crusher in a week or so. If you need anything that will fit a 69, you are welcome to it. I just don't know what carries over from 64 and what you might need. I need to make some room in the garage for the 40 hard top before the trek to Moab, so I will be hitting the scrap yard in the next couple of weeks. 3.5 car garage full of Chevy truck and no room for anything else!
Thanks for the input everyone. I hadn't thought about a marine sealer, sounds like it might be just the ticket. Im leaning toward the oak kit and when/if its time to replace it again, I can use it as a template on some other type of wood.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Seems like the little research I've done is 67-72. At this point, I'm in the same boat as you except with 2.5 forties. My garage is absolutely packed! Thanks for the offer though
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner