Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default LED Off-Road Lights? Better than Hella's?

Since I installed my new bumper on my 40, I have been debating reinstalling my Hella 4000's. I love the lights, they are super bright, I did install the upgrade 200 watt version bulbs IIRC. They really really throw with great spill. My only complaint is they are the size of a dinner plate and take away from the classic look of the 40 up front.

I have been eye balling some of the newer LED off road lamps, both the bars and the lamp housings. I am just wondering if they produce the same throw? My old school training tells me the bigger the reflector (diameter) the more throw the light has... does this hold true with LED's that are out there now?

I have been looking at one of those new LED light bars that are about 14" wide and two rows of LED's, I have been thinking about how clean it would look in front of my 8274 winch on the mounting plate... it would almost disappear in that spot. Something like this...

I have my lamps wired into my brights and that's how I typically use them... spotting elk and deer at night on the roads. I don't wheel at night for the most part... I barely wheel

I am most likely going to add a few tractor worklights I have laying around like "rock lights" on the drivers side, but for now I am trying to decide what to do about reinstalling my Hella's or selling them to fund a new set of the LED's.

Thoughts? Where to buy? What to be looking for?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Buy a Rigid from Slee http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...lights_led.htm. You are welcome to play with my lights to see how they compare. What I love about my lights is that I can see deer that are on the side of the road before they run in front of the truck. I think my lights have saved me at least six times now.

I want to try the blue covers some time to see how well they work in the snow. I have read that blue light cuts through driving snow.

Name:  off.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  144.6 KB

Name:  on.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  123.6 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

CDOT uses deep yellow or amber for driving in snow, not super white or blue. Blue will seem brighter but you're really just seeing more light reflected and so it's only your perception. You want longer wavelength, warmer colors for fog and snow. If you want to see better, increase the intensity by getting higher power bulbs with color around 3200 K. In clear weather cooler colors like blue and white are better for the same reason they're bad in snow, they reflect better and so objects become clearer at greater distances.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have not mounted my LED bar yet but driveway testing indicates the light pattern in more conical than my IPF 900s. For offroad that is fine and they through tons of light. But I suspect they could cause more reflection issues off street/HWY signs. My IPF's are bad enough already in the category. So for street use I'd stick to your Hellas. Those are good lights.

My LED light bar is from expedition lighting systems. He is on MUD. Basically rigid copies.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Are those Hella's HID's?

I have seen a number of comparisons on line, and the LED's really throw a lot of light out there, and, as you say, are very compact.

If you are looking to do things less expensively, and use some tools, this guy made some that seem to work REALLY well. (not to mention he has one of the sweetest Taco's out there right now).

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...light-bar.html

Otherwise, Rigid seems to be the way to go.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Are those Hella's HID's?

I have seen a number of comparisons on line, and the LED's really throw a lot of light out there, and, as you say, are very compact.

If you are looking to do things less expensively, and use some tools, this guy made some that seem to work REALLY well. (not to mention he has one of the sweetest Taco's out there right now).

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...light-bar.html

Otherwise, Rigid seems to be the way to go.
Dude, that's some mad fab skills! Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I have not mounted my LED bar yet but driveway testing indicates the light pattern in more conical than my IPF 900s. For offroad that is fine and they through tons of light. But I suspect they could cause more reflection issues off street/HWY signs. My IPF's are bad enough already in the category. So for street use I'd stick to your Hellas. Those are good lights.

My LED light bar is from expedition lighting systems. He is on MUD. Basically rigid copies.
As I have been poking around... This seems to be the reality for now. 100 yards is the general consensus from what I've read so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Buy a Rigid from Slee http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...lights_led.htm. You are welcome to play with my lights to see how they compare. What I love about my lights is that I can see deer that are on the side of the road before they run in front of the truck. I think my lights have saved me at least six times now.

I want to try the blue covers some time to see how well they work in the snow. I have read that blue light cuts through driving snow.

Attachment 32625

Attachment 32626
Thanks Mike, if I catch you sometime I'd like to check out your lights in action.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili