Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

There's always room at BFE... or across the highway towards Behind the Rocks, there are some cool sites along whatever that main road is called- the one that goes towards Pritchet Arch?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Ever tried Bride Canyon on Gemini Bridges Road? Had good luck there...pretty cool place to camp.
I think I remember some camping spots along the road on my way to Rusty Nail and Metal Masher a few years ago. Do you recall about how many miles or how long it takes to get to the camp spots off the highway?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

I can't believe no one has suggested Slick Rock. That place is paradise...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
There's always room at BFE... or across the highway towards Behind the Rocks, there are some cool sites along whatever that main road is called- the one that goes towards Pritchet Arch?
That is a great spot Nakman, opposite the BFE entrance road. Basically, instead of turning left off of the highway to BFE you turn right, meander back a bit and wallah.. the road takes you to a beautiful open prairie lots of spots there, might be best up against the rocks for wind resistance. It is not BLM land but Utah state land, nonetheless free camping is allowed.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
That is a great spot Nakman, opposite the BFE entrance road. Basically, instead of turning left off of the highway to BFE you turn right, meander back a bit and wallah.. the road takes you to a beautiful open prairie lots of spots there, might be best up against the rocks for wind resistance. It is not BLM land but Utah state land, nonetheless free camping is allowed.
Was that the big open area that we considered for CM when we went on that pre-run to check out BFE? There are definitely some cool places there...
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I think I remember some camping spots along the road on my way to Rusty Nail and Metal Masher a few years ago. Do you recall about how many miles or how long it takes to get to the camp spots off the highway?
The turnoff to the left is just before Gooneybird...maybe 15 minutes from the highway or so?? There are 6 sites, relatively far away from each other...great area to explore, it is a completely enclosed dead-end canyon. There are a couple of 'hidden' arches, and at the end of the canyon there is a rock formation that looks like a bride. Plus you are so close to everything else up there, I love camping there. Just a ways off the main road, and sucks to get all the way up there and find the sites are all taken....but I don't think I have ever had that happen...
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
Was that the big open area that we considered for CM when we went on that pre-run to check out BFE? There are definitely some cool places there...
Yeah one of them for sure. Last time I ran BTR I noticed some cool sights both before and after the sand dunes, that huge open space is on that straight-away before, I believe that's where they camp for 24 hrs. in Moab? But beyond the dunes were some sites tucked up against some larger butte features, that looked pretty interesting. I didn't stop to check them out though, always seem to be in a hurry to get back for something..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Are you thinking of Behind the Rocks, that is BLM land with some private property dispersed on the north side of Bridger Jack Mesa (south of the BTR road). Remember during the 24 Hours how they told you not to camp past the markers? That's because the people up there would get upset and complain to the BLM. I find it's usually better to drive past that valley (where the 24 Hours base was, if I'm thinking of the same place you are) and camp along the road. It's a little quieter since it's tougher to pull big trailers any further as they don't maintain the road beyond those properties.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is there something in Moab your specifically going for? Otherwise I'd personally consider heading further south or west and avoid the Moab crowds. There are not many secrets left in the Moab area for camping. I think the suggestion of Behind the Rocks is probably the best. If you strike out just goto Area BFE.

Lots of hiking down in Comb Wash, like Arch Canyon and far less people. Indian Creek? Or out in the Swell to the west. I love Moab like everyone else, and that's the problem now. No more pulling into Sand Flats Friday night and picking out your favorite spot.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Are you thinking of Behind the Rocks, that is BLM land with some private property dispersed on the north side of Bridger Jack Mesa (south of the BTR road). Remember during the 24 Hours how they told you not to camp past the markers? That's because the people up there would get upset and complain to the BLM. I find it's usually better to drive past that valley (where the 24 Hours base was, if I'm thinking of the same place you are) and camp along the road. It's a little quieter since it's tougher to pull big trailers any further as they don't maintain the road beyond those properties.
I need to catch up with you sometime and look at a map, sounds like you have some gems to camp there. I was told by the BLM that that valley was Utah State lands.. But maybe I or the BLM were not in sync..

That area that is flat and open, where the 24 hour participants camp is the area I was referring to.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com