Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So I'm talking on the 145.145 today on my way home. The QSO started out with the Baofeng, but the gentleman with whom I spoke gave me a very weak signal report, so I then switched the HT off and continued the conversation on the mobile rig. To start, I vowed to change the default power on the local repeaters from "low" to "high," which I have just completed.

the other tip I received was a free software called Chirp. check out http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home where I also downloaded it. This software appears to be far and away superior to the pseudo-Chinese UV-5R_newold program from Baofeng. For one I can export the file now to .csv, which means I'm a save away from an .xls file, I'll post that here.

the other thing I was able to do was toggle on "dual watch" function, which makes the dual band radio actually behave like a dual band radio, picking up from both channels yet giving priority to the one you're selected to transmit on. I tried to get that working from the menu setting in the radio, and it just wasn't doing it, so happy to force that through the software.

We'll see if I learn any more tricks tomorrow night..
Attached Files
File Type: xls baofeng_program.xls (18.0 KB, 26 views)

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow, Chirp also has downloads for all the repeaters, FRS frequencies, dang there's an hour I'll never get back. cool software though.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I mentioned CHIRP before, recently here. Getting to be decent software, but I have scrambled radios with it some time ago. I have it working on Mac OS X with some of my RT Systems cables. They use FTDI and Prolific chipsets but set custom VIDs and PIDs so you have to tweak kexts (Mac equivalent to Windoze drivers). CHIRP also works with Linux, which is where it really shines.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Damn, you guys are making me wonder what the heck I'm getting into. Life is too short to make it so complicated. Vinyl, biplanes, CB, 50's Mercuries are where I'm at! Gotta be hip though, so see you tomorrow morning, with Dean in tow. Talk about anachronisms.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Says a guy with power windows & in dash navigation. W'all have our toys.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
So I'm talking on the 145.145 today on my way home. The QSO started out with the Baofeng, but the gentleman with whom I spoke gave me a very weak signal report, so I then switched the HT off and continued the conversation on the mobile rig. To start, I vowed to change the default power on the local repeaters from "low" to "high," which I have just completed.

the other tip I received was a free software called Chirp. check out http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home where I also downloaded it. This software appears to be far and away superior to the pseudo-Chinese UV-5R_newold program from Baofeng. For one I can export the file now to .csv, which means I'm a save away from an .xls file, I'll post that here.

the other thing I was able to do was toggle on "dual watch" function, which makes the dual band radio actually behave like a dual band radio, picking up from both channels yet giving priority to the one you're selected to transmit on. I tried to get that working from the menu setting in the radio, and it just wasn't doing it, so happy to force that through the software.

We'll see if I learn any more tricks tomorrow night..
Guessing I can down load this to my 3R also?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Steve we're doing the grunt work here so once you pass that Technician's test you can just flip it on and press the easy button. There are some fundamentals that you must learn, but the detailed rigors of programming shouldn't be one of them right off the bat, IMO.

My quick soap box is everyone should know how to set a repeater in manually, and how to get to those menu options. You should be able to access the Colorado Connection. And you should be able to read a repeater handbook from a foreign land (like Utah) and dial up & key in on a now local repeater. This ability not only proves your manly geekness, but could ultimately be the difference between just a long day and a much longer extended camping trip, depending on the situation- one of the core benefits that drives so many people to this hobby.

Go rent 127 hours, then imagine if that guy had passed a $14 test, and tossed a $40 radio in his backpack already programmed to the Hanksville repeater, what a difference that would have made for him (maybe even a better movie). Just swap out pinched arm and replace with fried ECU, broken U Joint, kid with allergic reaction, etc. until it feels relevant. Well after tomorrow, at least one of those will be true for you- I stuck the Hanksville & Moab repeaters in the programming. All you need to do is pass a quick test and there's a big world of benefit out there.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Guessing I can down load this to my 3R also?
yes, the documentation to the Chirp software says it's the same for the 3R and 5R. you can be the first!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

you rock Tim....great points, and thanks in advance for all the hard work! Amazon just dropped off 2 shiny new 5R's!
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
you rock Tim....great points, and thanks in advance for all the hard work! Amazon just dropped off 2 shiny new 5R's!
Tim, what Timm says, and I hear what you are saying about the benefit of a little work now making future trips that much better, safer and fun. My brain can always use more exercise and this will be a good way of getting some.