Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Got my UV-3r in the mail today, you guys get yours? At first glance it's a very close approximation to the Yausu VX-3, not exact as it has less buttons, not quite as intuitive, etc. but heck, it's dang close. And it's got a flashlight.

What else is cool is the threads are normal for the antenna, which means my other HT antennas will screw right on. Still not sure why they had to reverse the threads on the UV-5. Also it takes the same charger as the Yaesu, which means one less charger to bring along. It's got a cradle, but it's not a charging dock like the 5, really just a holder, that will also charge the battery if you remove it (like a digital camera battery charger).

I will fire up the laptop and see how the programming goes..
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well, shoot. My programming cable doesn't fit. I realize now that I bought the cable for the 5V and 3V "plus," but I only got the 3V radio, not the "plus." Other than the different plug config, I'm not sure the difference between a plus and a non-plus.

So I just ordered another cable, the non-plus cable. In hindsight, I should have got the 3V-r plus, so I could have used the same cable for it and the 5.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Lifted

Dang, these have come down a bit...might need to grab a couple extra to leave in car, work bag, etc. Have to sort out all the "plus" and "5A" stuff though...seems to be multiple versions out there. Is it just firmware or are there added features? I currently have the plain ol' UV-3R and 5Rs (and a Yaesu FT2900R.)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

I got the UV-3R the other night, it seems like it will be a nice little radio for around camp and while wheeling. Due to the low power and my non willingness to figure out repeater programming it's functionality will be limited around town I think. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet.

I certainly don't mind a tiny radio for $35 though. It'll be nice to have around.
82 FJ40
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Well, shoot. My programming cable doesn't fit. I realize now that I bought the cable for the 5V and 3V "plus," but I only got the 3V radio, not the "plus." Other than the different plug config, I'm not sure the difference between a plus and a non-plus.

So I just ordered another cable, the non-plus cable. In hindsight, I should have got the 3V-r plus, so I could have used the same cable for it and the 5.
I have the Plus Tim. Case design, mic design, battery, and antenna mount are supposedly different. I need to meet up with someone with a 3R to compare them beyond that though.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just got my UV-5R Plus

Tim...can you help me get it programmed so I can listen on the trail. Won't have my license for a bit. Test is tonight and I won't make it. Will have to wait until May.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
Just got my UV-5R Plus

Tim...can you help me get it programmed so I can listen on the trail. Won't have my license for a bit. Test is tonight and I won't make it. Will have to wait until May.
Can you do next Saturday night in Northglenn?

04/27/2013 | Northglenn CO 80233-2011

Sponsor: Ares D- 27
Time: 8:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More

but yeah, I can program you up, lmk

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Commander

So far I'm not at all impressed with the UV-3r. I can't get it to transmit or receive, it literally just sits there. I spent 2 hours fiddling with it last night trying to reach another HT 3' away on simplex, to no avail.. .it's like it's already keyed up somehow? And no sound comes out of the speaker, not even in FM radio mode. Tried in VOX mode and without, tried with the headphones and without, tried an "all reset," nothing.

The flashlight works. Once my programming cable comes in I'm hoping that'll kick it into action somehow, I know there are more settings within the software than you can get to through the radio. So far though, pretty unimpressed... anyone else able to send/receive simplex with their UV-3?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

mine worked out of the box.. I simply programmed the simplex freq. I wanted and keyed up and was talking to myself in the truck in no time.

maybe something is wrong with yours?
82 FJ40
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you did an all reset to defaults, twirling to a frequency and just receiving should be so easy even a mechanical engineer could get it to work.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler