Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

7018 will weld in all positions. Same with 6010 and 6011. 1 meaning all positions and 8 is flux type. 70 meaning 70000 psi tensile strength. Just saying.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

here's my tip for you in all seriousness.
buy the little calculator cards. I still have them in the drawer with all my consumables and pull them out often. Miller has them for all processes. I don't have room in my 46 year old brain to remember all the different amperage and filler specs for all different metals, so it's nice to have a handy cheat sheet all the time.

Second tip. don't get lazy. clean everything. before, during and after. including your equipment.

john (johnny) henley
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
here's my tip for you in all seriousness.
buy the little calculator cards. I still have them in the drawer with all my consumables and pull them out often. Miller has them for all processes. I don't have room in my 46 year old brain to remember all the different amperage and filler specs for all different metals, so it's nice to have a handy cheat sheet all the time.

Second tip. don't get lazy. clean everything. before, during and after. including your equipment.

is there some sort of process to clean my mig? Aside from wiping down the exterior, I don't know what to clean but if it helps its longevity and effectiveness I'm all for it
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have a Mig welder but am in need of welding some stainless steel. If I understand it right I can but wire for the mig and change the gas from argon mix to ????

Question is how different is welding SS compared to normal steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

You need to change to pure argon for stainless. There is a big difference in the metals. I have never done mig with stainless but if it is like tig you have to watch the heat. To much and it will sugar the backside. Not sure if you can set a post flow of gas or not. With tig i have it set for a post flow of at least 5 seconds to keep the weld shielded so it wont sugar. Sugar is basically a bunch of porosity that looks like black sugar. A fab shop i worked at used mig for stainless but on a bigger mig machine that had way more settings then i wanted to know about. Watch the fume plume or smoke. can be toxic. Also stainless takes a litter longer to heat up but not sure how this affects the mig process. Not sure if this helps any.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....