Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Who's not camping at the Slickrock camp??

Hello,

My name is Matt and I am new to this forum.. I have been wheeling my SAS Tacoma for the last 10 years. Normally I can find the proper section to introduce myself.... Not sure if the members bio page is for introductions..

Mandi and I will be heading out of Sonora, CA on the 28th and this is our first trip to Moab. I have a few rough campsite areas picked out like Kane Creek camp and a few others..

I want to know if we do not camp at Slickrock, where is the closest rough camp to the event base that you guys can recommend or if there is a group planning on rough camping together elsewhere that would not mind another couple hanging out ???

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

There are tons of places in the surrounding areas. You can choose the along the south side of the Colorado river and if you want more slickrock type camping, head up sand flats road. Not sure if/where anyone is dry camping at all. Most tent campers are in Slickrock Camp ground which I would not recommend. Its dusty, dirty and just plain ugly.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
There are tons of places in the surrounding areas. You can choose the along the south side of the Colorado river and if you want more slickrock type camping, head up sand flats road. Not sure if/where anyone is dry camping at all. Most tent campers are in Slickrock Camp ground which I would not recommend. Its dusty, dirty and just plain ugly.

Appreciate the response. Tons of spots is what I've gathered from all the info searching and is why I'm looking for suggestions.

No Slickrock type camping for us. Not our style.. To many rules and dog racist...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Rock Stacker

check out BLM information here for some good spots..

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...mpgrounds.html
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
check out BLM information here for some good spots..

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...mpgrounds.html

Thanks

Already have a lot of that info.

I'm looking more for suggestions of specific dry camping spots in the surrounding area. Preferably closer to the event that can be recommended by those of you that have spent time in them.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Rock Stacker

Just a heads up, many of the primitive sites in the Moab area require a portable toilet. They will ticket you for it. Same with collecting wood. They don't allow any wood collection. They ticket for that too.

Check out Blue Hills Road. Lots of camping off of that road. It is just off of 191.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've never found any issue with dogs in the Moab area. Including SRCG. This year I'm at Portal which is directly behind SRCG. But is still a private campground. Just much cleaner.

Any of the BLM campgrounds along the river should suit your needs if you can find a spot. Over the years many of the primitive camping spots have been shut down around the Moab area. Everywhere is over run IMO. Has trash all over, vandalism, etc... Moab has started to bring the suck that way.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

I always camp at Kens Lake, its a nice area, especially if you have a dog, alot of places to walk, and not too far out of town. Second loop is better than the first. Also realize that most of the campsites along the Colorado River will be full due to the ski areas shutting down and all of the Colorado people head out to Moab.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Rock Stacker

Looking for a place to crash out after the dinner Friday night. I'm going to check out the Portal. Thanks, Corbett.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

What's happenin' Roger? Hopefully I'll see you out there next week.