Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Lifted

Hmm...wonder which way is cheaper...seems like by the time you buy used radio, add APRS, GPS and Antenna plus wiring you might be up to the price of FTM350? Unless you had a bunch of used stuff laying around...

So the FTM runs APRS on one channel and then comms on other? I guess I'm asking if they run simultaneously.

The one thing I don't like about the FT-2900R is no remote display...I'd rather not have the whole radio out in the open where thieves can see it, so I was thinking of getting something w/ a remote head.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Using the FT-2900 for APRS is fine, you can tuck it away out of sight once configured and forget about it. There's no need to watch the radio on APRS, although remember to lock the controls so the frequency can't be changed.

Yes, the FTM-350 can run APRS in the background with regular use on the other side. When it needs to transmit an APRS packet it blanks the other side. If you are currently transmitting it will skip the packet and if you are receiving it goes quiet for a second or so. This is an improvement over the FT-8800/8900, which can listen to two bands at the same time but can only transmit on the selected side. So if the APRS tracker wants to TX, it will do it on the frequency you're using currently and not the secondary side.

It sorta depends on which radios you use, but if you are starting from zero going with a FTM-350 or TM-D710A might be competitive, particularly if you are looking at a FT-8800 or other fairly expensive radio already. If you have any old junk, probably cheaper to build your own. You can use one of those Chinese HTs for APRS, potentially a whole APRS set up might be $100 ~ $150. You'd also need to run two antennas, which can also be a pain.

BTW, the FTM-350 is discontinued, so existing stock is all that's available. Yaesu came out with the FTM-400, which is a 350 with digital modes added. Not sure the cost, but probably not cheap.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default my used setup...

My used setup was like $220? ish...less than $100 for the FT-2500, and then the already built package deal from byonics.com. (gps, antenna, TNC module, cable, )
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
You can use one of those Chinese HTs for APRS, potentially a whole APRS set up might be $100 ~ $150. You'd also need to run two antennas, which can also be a pain.

BTW, the FTM-350 is discontinued, so existing stock is all that's available. Yaesu came out with the FTM-400, which is a 350 with digital modes added. Not sure the cost, but probably not cheap.
So you don't need much wattage for APRS? I have a Baofeng 3R (sitting unused) and 5R I carry around.

I've been looking at some digital mode stuff, so I might check out the 400...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default nope, don't need much power

I think I run my ft-2500 at low1 or low2 (5 or 10w)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I also usually run low power level, which is 5W on the FTM-350. I've never used high power for APRS on any radio.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Lifted

I went with the Kenwood TM-D710, what a nice radio. For those not familiar, it is similar to the FT-350 but has been around longer and has a big following. Not intending to start a debate, just offer a solid alternative that has not been mentioned. I made a custom cable, similar to what Dave described, and repurposed on old (mid 1990's) Eagle Explorer GPS unit which can output NEMA 0183.

For normal in town operations low power is fine as other have stated. However, as with any communication, the farther from a repeater the more power you may need. When in the San Rafael Swell a couple of weeks ago my tracking was amazingly good. I did run the power on about 20 watts.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=92

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin