Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Help with exhaust choice?

So, the 80 is in need of some exhaust TLC. I measured the temps on the cats and they seemed pretty low, and the temp actually dropped from front to back. Burning a bunch of coolant when the HG was out probably didn't help matters. The pipes have a few dents, the rear of the muffler output is loose, and the O2 sensors are probably original.

So, I think its time.
I was originally looking at the bosal system, but don't want aluminized steel. Second thought was to go with some magnaflow ypipes and cats, as they have a bolt in system. But they don't have a bolt in muffler, etc, so that would require extra work. And even just the parts order was going to be 780, plus some shop time and tubing.

Now I'm thinking of just spending the extra and going with the EMS system. But then I read some info that the resonator with the EMS system is not all that great, and may be better to get a moroso spiral muffler welded into the system to reduce noise.

I'm definitely just after something that is good quality and pretty quiet. No forced induction for me so not after performance gains. I think I'll get a nice boost in power anyway just by replacing the old cats and sensors.

So now the question is, do I drop the money on the EMS system without the resonator and then order the Moroso one separate and then find a shop that can TIG weld stainless, and pay them (what, maybe 150 bucks or something?)

--Total cost of the EMS system w/ Moroso muffler added in would be around 1300 dollars.
--Total cost of a cheapo Bosal might be around 700.
--Total cost of a mid range Magnaflow pieced together would be probably 1000.
--Total cost of just having some repairs done to my system would probably still be in the area of 500 bucks if I wanted to replace cats, etc.
--Total cost of maybe just going somewhere and having a full on system built, I have no idea

I am starting to think about a South America trip so want something that will last, but also don't wanna spend more than I have to as I'm trying to save for that trip, and as much as I like working on the truck, I like adventure more!

One nice thing about the EMS system is (aside from the resonator) I could install myself, which is nice since I'm up in the mountains without ready access to a shop. Then drive to Denver some day and have the resonator welded in.

Any thoughts or recommendations from people? EMS worth the money for a 16 year old car?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/94054/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/23120/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/23622/10002/-1
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Lifted

I would go to hanksville hotrods and have him build a full mandrel bent system. His work is second to none.

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Theres also A&A Performance Muffler in Englewood. great work as well. great folks to.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

I put a bolt together Walker system on Pickup from NAPA and it works well enough. The fit was not terrible, one pipe to trim to length and I ended up customizing it with a length of flex pipe in the middle. It wasn't expensive, about $350 including the converter (my truck only has one and the whole system is much more simple, so I doubt it's comparable). Just slightly louder than stock.

That said, I'd hit a shop and have one bent up, although maybe check prices on catalytic converters and get one yourself. Amazon has them pretty cheap, for example.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm in the same boat, but my cats might be in better shape? How do I test the cats? I've never come close to failing emissions...does that mean anything?

I have a hole where the two pipes of the Y pipe meet. I patched it with some stuff from NAPA so I wouldn't have to listen to it, but I don't expect it to last. Does EMS sell just the Y pipe section? I didnt see it on their site. I guess I could use the section bw the cats and the muffler as well since it has been dragged over a few rocks over the years and is flattened a bit.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Anyone with questions one the EMS system feel free to call me for honest answers. I put mine on a few months ago and signed up as a dealer.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 05-20-2013 at 07:04 PM.