Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Wincher

Checking to see if a time has been selected.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

You'll have to pardon me, I was drinking last night. I don't think there is any chance that jenny creek is passible (at least in my rig). We've gotten a whole lot of late snow. I would be open to a left-hand or switzerland run or open to other suggestions.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Wincher

I'm up for about anything that doesn't have cliffs and ledges. Started to head to Longwater Gulch yesterday, but wasn't comfortable running alone.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm seriously considering Switzerland Trail this afternoon. Maybe meeting in boulder around 1:00?
I've got to get under the front of my truck this morning and try to figure out where this mysterious "clunk" sound is coming from.

I'm told a good meeting place in Boulder is The Starbucks at 3033 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder, CO. This is also immediately next to a gas station, Moe's Bagels and King Soopers.

Any takers?

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Just to throw a few suggestions out to you guys since it looks like you're looking for something a little more mild. Trying to follow Uncle Ben might prove more than you bargained for!

Metberry Gulch (better than Longwater and open all the way to the river)
You won't be alone. Mild trail with the only obstacles being Chicken Scratch Hill and Metberry Rock. There is an illegal bypass around Metberry Rock, please don't use it. You can also drive around on FS360 which is fun and scenic.

Slaughterhouse Gulch Not as scenic as Metberry but still fun.

Most trails below 9k feet should be open

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

shotshell, I noticed that you have a quote that says "i'd rather walk than drive 2wd stuff (something to that effect)" you do know that Switzerland trail is just a scenic joyride right? Don't get me wrong it's beautiful, but I've done it in my camry (a little rough though).

I'm trying to contact my wife to see when she will be off work. I think we could meet up at left-hand around 3:00 it might be a little crowded though.

shotshell do you need a hand with your rig? shoot me a PM with addy if you need some help. I'm decent with a wrench and have some spare time
Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Wincher

I'd do Metberry, Longwater, or Hacket Gulch (all 3 probably since it's the same range). Anyone up for that?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Wincher

Left Hand could be interesting too. I snapped an axle on Fireman's Hill years ago :-) However, that hill is closed now I understand.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Remember, Longwater and Hackett are closed at the Teller/Park County lines. Hackett is hard to tell where the closure is (top of big hill where the trail splits) Longwater has a post and cable. Metberry is the only trail open all the way to the river. Doing all three is possible, but depending on how close you are to leaving, you'll do the last one in the dark.

Have fun and be safe!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps8460 View Post
shotshell, I noticed that you have a quote that says "i'd rather walk than drive 2wd stuff (something to that effect)" you do know that Switzerland trail is just a scenic joyride right? Don't get me wrong it's beautiful, but I've done it in my camry (a little rough though).

I'm trying to contact my wife to see when she will be off work. I think we could meet up at left-hand around 3:00 it might be a little crowded though.

shotshell do you need a hand with your rig? shoot me a PM with addy if you need some help. I'm decent with a wrench and have some spare time
My signature "I'd rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD." was born of excruciating frustration as a kid and adolescent when my family refused to purchase any kind of "useful and capable off-road vehicle". And in my trips to Colorado, I saw these guys driving kick a$$ off-road rigs, and I wanted to drive those trails so bad. SO my first vehicle I bought is the truck I have now. I made myself a promise, that I'd never be restrained to the pavement.
I know this might sound a little dramatic, but it's how I feel.

Now, right now I'm running on some worn out tires. So i'm a little hesitant to do anything too extreme. Just wait till I get a new set of tires on her, she's gonna tear Jenny creek a new one.

Anyways, I appreciate the offer for help. I'm gonna get under there and drop the skid plates and check every nut and bolt I can find.
I'm really hoping it's just something loose and not something wrong in the front dif. If I can't seem to figure it out, I'll let you know. I was thinking of taking her to Slee and having them look at her.

So, I guess I'm up for anything that Sleepy had just mentioned.
If you guys decide on one, or several, this afternoon, let me know. Sleepy has my number.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.