Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Wincher

I'll go where others go. I'm not self sufficient as a rig yet. No winch, air, spare parts... So I like the safety in numbers :-)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Remember, Longwater and Hackett are closed at the Teller/Park County lines. Hackett is hard to tell where the closure is (top of big hill where the trail splits) Longwater has a post and cable. Metberry is the only trail open all the way to the river. Doing all three is possible, but depending on how close you are to leaving, you'll do the last one in the dark.

Have fun and be safe!
Doing them in the dark? Sounds good. That's why I've got 10 lights on the truck.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

I guess it sounds like Metberry is gonna be it than? I'm not really familiar with that area. Where could we all meet up at?

Also, I think it's worth noting that, if Google Earth is giving me the right place, it looks like Metberry is burned to a crisp. Yes?

TLCA #22468

Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Wincher

Fishy, JPS - either of you up for Metberry Gulch?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

yep! when are we leaving/ meeting up. I would like to get back to denver by 6. wouldn't mind doing slaughterhouse if it's near metberry. I'm ready to go
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I'll go where others go. I'm not self sufficient as a rig yet. No winch, air, spare parts... So I like the safety in numbers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Doing them in the dark? Sounds good. That's why I've got 10 lights on the truck.
At the risk of sounding like a douche.....

You guys seem enthusiastic and eager to get out. That's awesome! I'm not sure how many runs you've been on with Rising Sun, but the club always promotes safe, smart wheeling. You and your truck should be in good working order. You should always carry the necessary gear plus be prepared for survival in case of an emergency. Always know the rules of the area (what's closed/open), stay the trail, be able to communicate with others (cb or ham) and most of all, have fun.

No winch is fine, as long as you don't put yourself in a dangerous position to need one. No air is fine as long as you have a place to fill up after airing down. I used a 12v compressor in a bag before I had a Powertank. Know your truck and know the trail. There is no need to even air down for Switzerland Trail.

Clunks and bad tires are never a good idea. Bald tires equal spinning tires. That tears up the trail and destroys the terrain. Clunks before you go equals breakdowns when things get rough.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but people die from going out unprepared. I picked up a guy lost in the woods off Barbour Fork this past fall. He spent the night wondering around looking for a way out after rolling his mini truck. It was snowing and he was wearing a tshirt and jeans. He would not have survived another night.

I have learned so much from being a part of this club. Being safe, smart and prepared will ensure many more fun trips. Sorry for soap boxing.

If you haven't been to a meeting, or aren't yet club members, come check out what Rising Sun is all about! Don't forget, TLCA would love to have you as members too! http://www.tlca.org/
You'll be glad you did!

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

very good advise, thank you. I didn't think that sounded douchy at all.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Wincher

So Fishy, is that a no "your not going"? :-D

I completely understand where you are coming from. My truck is pretty capable. The other vehicles and skillsets with me determine how hard I can play.

There are tons of things I'd like to add. A flatbed with roll cage for one (why I didn't go to Moab). A winch, air, both are on the list.

With regard to survival, hear ya. Ever heard of "prepping" :-)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Being prepared is definitely important. I always go as prepared as I can.
I think I found the issue with my "clunk" and tightened everything up. Hopefully that won't be an issue any longer.
And my tires are ok, just not for anything like Jenny creek or Mosquito Pass, etc.

So, what's the word? Where are we meeting at?

TLCA #22468

Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
I guess it sounds like Metberry is gonna be it than? I'm not really familiar with that area. Where could we all meet up at?

Also, I think it's worth noting that, if Google Earth is giving me the right place, it looks like Metberry is burned to a crisp. Yes?
Yes, it was part of the Hayman fire. It's still not very attractive at this point, but is growing back. There are more scenic places to go for sure. But the obstacles are pretty fun to not be hard to get through.