Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Trailer Hitches

Considering adding a hitch to our Tacoma since a proper bumper is not in the cards anytime soon. Need a decent place for a recovery point and for the bike rack, not to mention to pull trailers.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2001_Toyota_Tacoma.htm

The above site have as examples Hidden Hitch, Drawtite, Curt. I had a Hidden Hitch on my Ranger many, many years ago. I never towed much with it but I remember it was a painted black bracket with a 2" square hole bolted to the frame. Pretty low tech stuff here.

Is there much functional difference among the brands? All are rated the same, Class III 5,000 lbs and bolt to existing holes. Is there anything from a recovery standpoint that can be determined between hitches? I mean, none are rated for dynamic loads per say, so they're not guaranteed beyond 5,000 lbs, but my thinking is it's better to select a hitch that uses 6 bolts and attaches to the bottom and side of the frame over one that uses 4 bolts and attaches only to the bottom because it's /probably/ stronger beyond its rating, not to mention under less stress normally.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Corrosion protection varies hugely between brands, but in Colo., this isn't a huge issue. Some hang down or out more than others. I would look at Tacos with hitches in parking lots and find a hitch with decent clearance and note the brand and then order that one.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Rising Sun member

Or you can try to source an OEM hitch from Toyota or Jim's or something. That's what I did for my Tundra:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...1&postcount=36

My opinion is that the Toyota OEM hitches are generally more aesthetic and better designed than a lot of the aftermarket hitches kicking around...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD