Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Connectors for OBA system

Anyone have relevant experience on the pros and cons of using push type connectors versus a traditional barbed/hose clamped connector for an OBA system.

Push type fittings seem to be perceived as more durable, at least in the couple of salesmen I've spoken to.

Barbed fittings are more common and maybe a bit cheaper. Are they safe to use for a high pressure OBA system?

Seems like barbed fittings almost always require a good hose clamp for security in high pressure usage, but I'm not sure if this is also true for the push type.

Anyway - I'll take any thoughts or experiences one way or another.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Rising Sun Commander

My professionally installed air locker uses push type connectors. Smaller diameter though, but same pressure? Seems to still be working.

All of my barbed/hose clamped connections on the 80's OBA eventually leaked. Not sure you'll ever get a completely tight system, but the fewer connections the better was my final opinion. Lastly, the hose coming right off the compressor gets really hot, and consequently will swell up and pop off if allowed to. A braided line, or rigid pipe in that first section if possible is a good idea. It's a scary loud pop when it happens... though it does blow the dust off the bottom of the hood in that spot.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

You don't want barbed. They are not d.o.t. rated because they leak. No matter what you do. Either push to connect or compression fittings
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

The push type connectors are common on our conveyor system at work. As long as the connecting hose is stout enough to hold the connector under pressure...they work very well. We run pressures of about 125PSI until they get to the regulated lines.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

And you don't need any sort of hose clamp for the push connectors? They clamp and seal tight without additional help?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
And you don't need any sort of hose clamp for the push connectors? They clamp and seal tight without additional help?
They're magic.

Honestly, for air and water connections less than 150 psi the push connectors are what I go to every time. I even have one to connect the water tubing to the swamp cooler.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Fine metal "fins" inside the housing to bite in to the tube, and hold it all in place. When you need to release it, you push the collar toward the housing, and it pushes the fins away from the tube allowing easy removal.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

if you get the legris push to connect fittings, they're even plastic instead of the heavy brass and they are d.o.t. rated, so they have to work
ige tlca #1431
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

They work great as long as you use the correct size tubing and fittings. Also I prefer the harder plastic tubing over the really soft type. We have push connectors all over the equipment at work. The worst combination is when someone tries to use 6mm tubing in a 1/4" connector. It'll blow out eventually.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln