Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well, still having issues but they're getting easier. Before I left town this week, I installed all new copper around the backflow and ball valves. Replaced everything but the lines that went into the ground and into the house. No leaks. Yay.

I got home from the airport a couple of hours ago. Just went to go and try to turn on the system and I have a few funny zones. As soon as I turn on the water at the solenoid, the heads pop up even though the timer box is off. It's my limited understanding that if a zone doesn't shut off, there's an issue with the diaphragm in the valve. Is that correct? Do I need to replace the whole valve or are they serviceable?

Since the system was already on last year when we moved in, I noticed one other thing. None of the wiring connections in the ground have twist caps on them. All the connections are just bare wire. Is that normal or should they have caps or been soldered?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

So your valves should have three settings- off, auto, and on/manual. In the "on" or "manual setting" it doesn't matter if your control box is "on or off"- its a manual override.

Regarding wire caps, many don't have them. I think there's something like 3v tops running through them.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Wincher

Do you know anyone who might be able to take pictures? (sarcasm mode)

Anyhow, if someone blew out your system, they may have left each solenoid unscrewed 1/4 or so turn. That's how you can force one station on, unscrew the solenoid a bit.

When you turn it back on, you might need to go into the box(es) and make sure each solenoid is snug.

I don't know, but this may be a ploy to get you to "hire" them for $xxxx to "fix" your system even when it isn't broken. Just sayin'... I'm sure there are competent and honest sprinkler service dudes out there. In fact, my buddy is one of the good guys, and tells me about the crap he finds that others left as a "problem".

Hope you get it fixed before your yard gets fried. Mid 90's this weekend baby!

1996 FZJ80