Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Children in booster seats and front seat?

I got pulled over today by the Sheriff. "Cracked windshield and front passenger appeared too young" Isn't over age 1 the requirement?

I know kids are safest in back seat but I had 4 kids with me. ages 7,7,8,8. I put the tallest in the front and buckled the others into the rear. Otherwise kids are always in back seats. We gave up on boosters as rear seats and seatbelts fit the kids well.

Sheriff said, 8 was minimum age for front seat and 7year olds needed a booster seat even in the rear.

http://www.tchd.org/pdfs/coloradochildrestraintlaw.pdf

My kids are over 40lbs. At least he let me off with a warning instead of a "child endangerment" ticket.

I know to smile, nod, apologize, and keep my mouth shut.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Club Treasurer

It seems like the Sheriff had his laws confused. Never heard of a "minimum age for the front seat". That would make it illegal to put the kids in a standard cab pickup.

Here is the Colorado State Patrol reference.

When I was a kid we used to ride up in the back window. And we liked it. We loved it!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just checked with one of our Car Seat Tech (all new fireman have to get certified) & he's claiming that there is NO age, height, or weight requirement. Rather, if equipped, the vehicle's airbags must be disabled & the child's weight must be compatible with the car seat.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

George Carlin had a great quote regarding child safety but this is a family forum.

I think there is a height and/or weight requirement to go into and eventually without a booster. Never heard of a front seat rule on age. After all as mentioned a single cab has no option but does have airbag override.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Just checked with one of our Car Seat Tech (all new fireman have to get certified) & he's claiming that there is NO age, height, or weight requirement. Rather, if equipped, the vehicle's airbags must be disabled & the child's weight must be compatible with the car seat.
Did he pass the test? Here is the wording taken directly from the motor vehicle code:

Colorado law requires that booster seats adhere to manufacturer usage and federal guidelines, such as placing children in the backseat of vehicles or in the front seat of vehicles without passenger air bags.

1 to 4 Years Old, 20 to 40 pounds
Colorado law requires that children who are 1 to 4 years old and weigh 20 pounds up to 40 pounds wear safety belts and be secured in forward-facing car seats.

4 Years Old or At Least 40 Pounds
Child booster seats, which are useful in properly positioning safety belts on children, are used with children from 4 years of age or at least 40 pounds to 6 years of age or 55 inches in height.

6 Years Old or At Least 55 Inches Tall
Colorado law requires that children 6 years old or older or children at least 55 inches tall wear safety belts. At this age or height, car booster seats are not necessary, but the use of safety belts is still required.

So the cop could have rightfully claimed the front seat passenger looked younger than 6, which would have meant it was OK to be in the front seat but in a booster seat. Older than 6 and taller than 55" would mean just a seat belt. Same rules apply to the back seat too.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Oops, I poorly worded my last post & left everything out regarding the car/booster seats. There's a belief out there that kids aren't allowed up front under any circumstances. BTW, He did pass
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Lifted

After much research, I put my 2 year old in the front seat of my 40 from time to time (in his car seat). I don't like doing this too often, and only for short trips, but he gets a major kick out of it!

This officers apparently doesn't know the law.