Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Rising Sun Commander

If he's looking for sweet single track through the woods, etc. this ain't it. This is more dirt road action with the occasional bumpy thing or snow drift, mostly at or above treeline. You could call it a spirited pre-run for the next day's clean up, for that matter.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'll likely make it up there earlier on Saturday. Point me to the campsites you're interested in and I'll try to snag one of them.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wish I could make it.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I'll likely make it up there earlier on Saturday. Point me to the campsites you're interested in and I'll try to snag one of them.
Just one of those bigger ones down below on the main road, before you get the creek road. See the other thread for a longer version? or give me a call

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
If he's looking for sweet single track through the woods, etc. this ain't it. This is more dirt road action with the occasional bumpy thing or snow drift, mostly at or above treeline. You could call it a spirited pre-run for the next day's clean up, for that matter.
Where is the best Colorado epic riding?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun member

Taylor Park
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Commander

that was super fun.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I met Bruce at camp just past noon... I was coming straight from T-ball, he'd already done all of Guanella pass.. good way to start the day. We gassed up and proceeded to hit everything we could on the north side of Leavenworth Creek, as that river looked a little too deep and too brisk to attempt on 2 wheels. We made it past Waldorf probably only a mile up Argentine until we hit snow, then we did the McClellan side and were able to get up and over the whole thing. At a few points we had about 1' of dirt between the drifts and the edge of the road, but just enough room to squeeze a moto up and through. What a hoot.

By the time we were making it down some quads had followed our tracks and had widened the snow drifts to the point where probably by next weekend you could get a truck up there. After McClellan we went down the other way, checking out that cabin (couple exciting puddles along the way), then down the bumpy "k" road to the main road. We played a little on the lower Leavenworth section, using both the higher junction and the Subzali Junction to get around the main water crossings. Would like to go back towards the end of the season when the water is lower, to explore that south side hill we saw everyone on yesterday. Also try to get to the top of Argentine.

Last comment is about all the other users up there- parking on the Guanella Pass road was packed, the pass was busy, everything from other moto bikes to mountain bikes to hikers, Jeeps, quads, golf carts, full size trucks, you name it it was up there. Without exception, everyone we came across was super cool. Half of them were asking us for directions, or is this route passable, etc., the other half enjoyed watching us sputter by. The leaders of the quads held up their numbers, their tail gunner always gave us the fist. I was really impressed by the etiquette, kind of renewed my hope a little.

Here's my manual panorama from the back side of McClellan, I-70 and I think the Bakerville exit is in the middle one.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 06-24-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun member

That big snowdrift in your panorama is where that Blazer rolled a couple years ago, and in the gully right below the motorcycle there is a rolled ATV awaiting extraction. Still quite a bit of snow hanging about, it's always a compromise this time of year. Want to get up there and get signs in place before it gets too busy, but can't always access everything if it's a snowy year.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Oh so that's where that ATV is... so just down the hill from where we parked our bikes?

www.gamiviti.com