Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,142
Default

We visited Georgetown today and I asked the attendant at the visitor center whether the Saxon Mountain road had been re-opened after last year's rock slide. She was not only unaware of the rock slide, but offered that Guanella Pass was open.

On the way to G-town, the twin tunnels looked like a nightmare on a Thursday afternoon eastbound with nothing, absolutely nothing that could reasonably account for what looked like about a 30 minute delay eastbound. The backups extended well through potato springs, and were more stop than go.

So we will be going back to 103, maybe all the way to Evergreen instead of potato springs. Definitely not though G-town and I-70.
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
WyoOtto's Avatar
WyoOtto WyoOtto is offline
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
We visited Georgetown today and I asked the attendant at the visitor center whether the Saxon Mountain road had been re-opened after last year's rock slide. .
Last fall I did a solo trip up Spring Creek and came down Saxon mountain not knowing that there was a landslide. Let me clarify, I'm pretty sure that I came down Saxon Mountain - I'm just starting to get to know the country. The road I came down from Saxon mountain is all switchbacks and drops you into Georgetown. There was a landslide at the top which was passable though with a pucker factor in the 9 range without a spotter. I don't have a pic of the landslide which is just out of view to the left but this is the road that I went down which took me straight into Georgetown.



Right now I'm planning on making the run with you guys and I'm really excited about it
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoOtto View Post
Last fall I did a solo trip up Spring Creek and came down Saxon mountain not knowing that there was a landslide. Let me clarify, I'm pretty sure that I came down Saxon Mountain - I'm just starting to get to know the country. The road I came down from Saxon mountain is all switchbacks and drops you into Georgetown. There was a landslide at the top which was passable though with a pucker factor in the 9 range without a spotter. I don't have a pic of the landslide which is just out of view to the left but this is the road that I went down which took me straight into Georgetown.



Right now I'm planning on making the run with you guys and I'm really excited about it
That is indeed the route down Saxon Mountain. I think we'll probably go back via 103 anyway, that'll circumvent whatever Sunday afternoon traffic jam there is on I-70 anyway. Unfortunately there won't be any way to avoid the twin tunnel mess, let's just hope it isn't too much of a delay. The alternative would be to take 103 all the way over Echo Lake back in to Evergreen. It is nice scenic drive, and while it may not save a lot of time, at least we'd be moving instead of stuck in stop and go traffic on the interstate.
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Sleepy Sleepy is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 77
Default

Is the way you are taking back loaded with shelf roads like Saxon down to Georgetown? What is that way back called so that I can look for it on Traildamage?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM
JadeRunner's Avatar
JadeRunner JadeRunner is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,415
Default

So we want to end up on Chicago Ck. road and take it home via Echo Lake/Squaw pass. That's sounds like a fine plan for me to avoid I70. Going into Idaho Springs, then directly up and north to Central City would be another option for some (OMG Road or something).

Ute Ck. or Cascade Ck. roads will both get us oto Chicago Ck Rd. Ute Ck. will be quicker based on our timing. They can be confusing to find so here is a map of them. I'm pretty familiar with those roads but will have this map just in case. Spring Ck trail connects near the top left of the map where it says "Forest Svr Rd"
Attached Images
 
__________________
Scott Yoder KD0DHP
2000 4Runner, 2.5" lift on 33's, locked, geared & armored.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Sleepy Sleepy is offline
Wincher
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 77
Default

I was trying to find the McDonald's in El Rancho on google maps. It doesn't show up. Can I get more specifics about which McD's that is? We are planning to come as well. Thx.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Sandman Sandman is offline
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I was trying to find the McDonald's in El Rancho on google maps. It doesn't show up. Can I get more specifics about which McD's that is? We are planning to come as well. Thx.
McDonald's
902 Swede Gulch Road
Evergreen, CO 80439
(303) 526-5810
__________________
Mike Brown
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 PM
JadeRunner's Avatar
JadeRunner JadeRunner is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 1,415
Default

It's at the El Rancho and I70 exit next to the Wallmart. You cant miss it.
__________________
Scott Yoder KD0DHP
2000 4Runner, 2.5" lift on 33's, locked, geared & armored.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
So we want to end up on Chicago Ck. road and take it home via Echo Lake/Squaw pass. That's sounds like a fine plan for me to avoid I70. Going into Idaho Springs, then directly up and north to Central City would be another option for some (OMG Road or something).

Ute Ck. or Cascade Ck. roads will both get us oto Chicago Ck Rd. Ute Ck. will be quicker based on our timing. They can be confusing to find so here is a map of them. I'm pretty familiar with those roads but will have this map just in case. Spring Ck trail connects near the top left of the map where it says "Forest Svr Rd"
Thanks so much Scott! I will count on you as my wing man when we head out from the top. The map you are showing amplifies my earlier impression of a maze of junctions trying to get to 103. One of the main reasons I always went down Saxon Mountain in years past was it's simplicity...
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I was trying to find the McDonald's in El Rancho on google maps. It doesn't show up. Can I get more specifics about which McD's that is? We are planning to come as well. Thx.
Google is evil. Do not trust them.
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.