Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Okay. In that case, I would just drive 'em until something broke or wore out.
Well that would be the fewest moves!

The knuckles on the Pig are weeping, and I do wonder if Ben (or whomever) centered the passenger side knuckle when he installed the Aqualu steering arm.

When I pull the spare '74 housing apart I should be able to put those steering arms on the '76 knuckles w/o issue, correct?

Anyone know what that blue-ish color gear oil in the front might be? I am guessing some kind of synthetic.
It does not look like ARB is too particular about gear oil, as long as it does not have additives for LSD in it (Mobil1): http://arbusa.wordpress.com/frequent...ns/air-locker/
I figure it has been in there since Ben rolled his Pig, and it will have to get drained anyway when I pull the ARB out...

Anoyone have a favorite oil for ARB?

When I do put the original front 3rd back in Pig, that will be a good time to put the long-body ASCO lockouts on.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

PS: I read someone recommend 60 series (or was it 62 series?) axle breathers as they are better at not letting out a bunch of gear oil all over the rear housing.

Can anyone verify these are better?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pry the floating steel cap off the (ahem) 'breather' and install a piece of 3/8" fuel line and a hose clamp. You can buy the barbed fitting and screw that in, if you want to to extra fancy.

IMO, there is no 'good' Toyota axle breather - they eventually will clog and cause axle or transfer case leaks.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Steve! I have heard this option as well.
Do you top the 3/8" hose with anything?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Pry the floating steel cap off the (ahem) 'breather' and install a piece of 3/8" fuel line and a hose clamp. You can buy the barbed fitting and screw that in, if you want to to extra fancy.

IMO, there is no 'good' Toyota axle breather - they eventually will clog and cause axle or transfer case leaks.
Good to see you post Steve! Thread hijack: I have certainly been thinking about you and your family down there in Black Forest!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Jeff - the nat'l gas was turned on yesterday and we have been nightly seeing and thanking the firefighters as during their shift change as they go past our house and a nearby school.

TJ - put a small lawnmower fuel filter (sold at small engine shops or Advance Auto) on the end of the line to keep casual dirt and water out. Extend the hose up to firewall height. You can pay $6.99 for those cheapie fuel filters if you just grab the first one, but if you look hard enough, you can find them for a lot less. Sometimes, motorcycle shops have them for $1 each on a card by the checkout - if you see that deal, buy a small handful for all your axle/xfer case vents.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome - thanks Steve!

Also glad to hear things are going okay for you down there...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

At this point Matt may be the only one interested, but I was thinking more about putting the 60 knuckles on the 40... I got wondering if the 70 series relay rod that I found will still fit correctly with the 60 knuckles and TREs.
This was the relay rod that made the 60 series PS complete on my 40. That would be a bummer to have to drop that.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

According to Wayne up in Canada, the 70 series tie rod is perfect for a 40/55 housing w/ 60 knuckles:

Now I found some info in a thread over in the 55 section that included info about using 70 series rods when you put 60 knuckles on a 40/55 axle housing.

The thread:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pi...-build-25.html
The posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushers
40.55. 70 all share the same cross link measurement
sadly, the earlier 40/55 uses smaller ties than the later version.
you could swap a later 40 series front diff in (1981 and newer) and then the arms off the 70 series and you will have a bolt up cross link.
if you do that then you can add 60 series PS and you will now have the drag link from the 70 series that is the proper length and HD upper arms.
you can get brand new cross and drag links C?W ties from Toyota, this is what i did on the 42 for PS upgrade.
this way the only mods to the steering is the connecting from the steering box to the steering wheel.
just a suggestion.

Quote:
if you use 60 or 70 series knuckles then you can just order the 70 series cross links with ties and be done with it.

Quote:
yes, you can buy the complete cross links with ends from Toyota.
part numbers:
45460A ROD ASSY, TIE
45460-69125 1 $412.69
45450 ROD ASSY, STEERING RELAY
45450-69075 1 $371.69

i didn't pay near that much for these ones ... sure is nice working with brand new parts that actually fit the first time.

Quote:
well, as discussed in the email, the cross link part number
45460A ROD ASSY, TIE
45460-69135 1 $412.69
has the ends included and will work from arm to arm.
the other part number i posted comes with the ends but is too long ... i think ... for your application. it is for the 60 PS box, now, IF you can give me a measurement of the existing arm to crosslink hole then i can go measure what i have in the garage ...
in the pic you can also see the difference in strength between the 70 series arms and the 40/55 series ...
this is a 42 series axle.
hopes this helps.

Quote:
okay
part number 45460-69135 tube is 42" with center of end at 48" with +/- 1" play
part number 45450-69085 tube is 30 1/4"" with center of end at 38" with +/- 1" play
so unless you go with 60 PS box, this relay rod won't work in your application.
hope this helps

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Thanks Matt. So in this scenario, the Pig is down until I get the front 3rd out of the 40 and stab it in the Pig. I would have the Pig up w/ the front housing torn apart as well as the 40. The might wonder if I know what I am doing at that point (not that she does not wonder that already...). Currently I only have one heavy set of jack stands.

As I am typing this, I started wondering about taking apart the '74 housing, and setting it up for the 60 knuckles. I could do this w/o affecting either vehicle. I could go through the fun of centering the knuckles and grinding the housing, and possibly changing the brake lines for the '78. That way I could have the front third out of the '74 housing ready to go back in the Pig as soon as the ARB is extracted from the Pig. Pig goes back together w/ its original front 3rd and a fresh birf service. Then I could stab the ARB in the '74 housing and have it ready to go. I could drop the front shackles on the 40 and roll the old axle out, roll the new and roll the fresh '74 front axle w/ ARB and 60 series knuckles in. New front bushings and away we go!

Now that I have typed all that out, I am thinking about how the 60 series steering arms will play with my front TREs...
Thinking about this again, might be a good winter project.
This plan would mean that I would build the '74 housing for the 60 knuckles to ultimately go under the '78 40.
I would rebuild the '76 housing on the Pig.
The housing from the '78 40 would end up as a spare.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713