Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Lifted

...and if you were a thief looking for something particular would not a local enthusiast forum be a good place for intell? And has said forum experienced other recent thefts?

I'm sorry, it doesn't feel very good to even have a doubt that it could be so, and I hate thinking that way. I'm just going to go back and try to resurrect the 89 with a good attitude.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Wincher

How long ago did you buy it? Maybe the previous owner kept a key and was just waiting for the right time places like waterworld and movie theaters attract theives because they know you will be distracted for a while.

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Lifted

I got a call from a guy who saw my stolen ad on Craig's. He found it at Metal Movers on I-25 & 58th. It's already partially dismantled sitting on a forklift. Going to recover tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

How stripped was it? Seems to me if it was an opportunity theft for parts that they would be interested in good sheet metal, too. At least you know, some of the other guys never found their trucks. It's also curious to me that Metal Movers wouldn't have a VIN check for stolen vehicles similar to what pawn shops have to do.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Huh look for my stolen truck too

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab

"Apollo"-1988, 2001 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: SAS, Duals.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
Huh look for my stolen truck too
Justin.... It might be worth calling over there. Could be the same dudes doing the stealing and bringing them to that place.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
How stripped was it? Seems to me if it was an opportunity theft for parts that they would be interested in good sheet metal, too. At least you know, some of the other guys never found their trucks. It's also curious to me that Metal Movers wouldn't have a VIN check for stolen vehicles similar to what pawn shops have to do.
I know western metals will not let you scrap a vehicle without a title. A shady junk yard will always be shady.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana View Post
I got a call from a guy who saw my stolen ad on Craig's. He found it at Metal Movers on I-25 & 58th. It's already partially dismantled sitting on a forklift. Going to recover tomorrow.
What did the police have to say about that?

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Lifted

The window was forced down. My driver window regulator that I got at the junk yard needed to be adjusted some more, I was in a hurry when I put it in. The thief just jammed a random toyota key in the ignition and forced it, it went. The key is still jammed in there. Then they just hopped on I-25, a few exits down.

Metal Movers have fradulent documents they were given. They are now victims too. When I showed up, I expected trouble, and I was upset to find my truck as it was. I can say this much for sure, they were very sympathetic, and helpfull. They did every thing I asked, to make it right. Including a free tow back to my shop lot.

I cannot imagine it would be possible for many to be as lucky as I was. If it were not for a very sharp guy name Charlie who scraps cars using Craigslist for leads, I would be out big time. This guy was at home browsing CL, when he saw my stolen ad, he goes all the way back to the yard, calls me, helps me ID it. I went and met him to say thank you. He has 3 very nice, drivable trucks fror sale under $1000 including one with a 454. and if anybody wants to get rid of a junk car, please use this guy. I got his phone number if anyone wants.

Quote:
Just the axles completely stripped to get the diffs. Sawzall looks to have been the tool of choice, and all bearings and hardware was strewn in the dirt. The motor was left running, and a customer actually showed up to purchase it while i was waiting by my truck. No body damage, but after the motor was pulled, it was to be crushed before lunchtime. Nobody cared about the body.

Not much window of opprotunity to recover a stolen vehicle at a crusher. After a few days, one would be searching for parts. Like the huge warehouse they have, with really nice tires. I saw a full, nice set of BFG A/T's 33 12.5 15's, for example. Who scraps that?

Quote:
What did the police have to say about that?
Basically, they told me to be very care full, and that I was very lucky.

Metal Movers has a huge facility and employs over 20 people. I assumed things were shady at first. I saw their entire facility while I was there, including the church inside where they have televised services, and their community food bank. The move a lot of cars and they move them quick, that is how it works down there. Nobody is perfect, and some mistakes seem like they have tragic outcomes, but people are more important then cars. It is easy to make assumptions about what happened, but they were all very professional to me, and they made it right. I would encourage anybody to go down there if they have parts or used tires for anything you need. They run an open business and it is a very learning expireince if nothing else.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Lifted

Default Recovered: 1985 4Runner