Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Photography Corner

Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Rock Stacker

Nice pick for a camera Jeff!

Two things I've never regretted buying for my D40 are the speedlight and a remote.
Speedlight works soooo much better than the built-in and saves camera battery.
The remote was a big hit when taking family gathering shots using the delay feature. Plus, it triggered my cousin's D5100 as well, so we had two cameras on tripods firing away simultaneously!

I have a 18-135 sort of odd-ball lens that seems to be my favorite. My only other lens is a 55-200, and you can't "get back far enough" with it if you try to use it anywhere inside. Outdoors, it's a beauty!

First thing, put a UV filter on the front of your lenses. My camera wears a lens cap about 2% of the time, but I never worry about it - it's protected!

I'm looking forward to all the pictures. Play around with depth of field and also take some really small aperture, long exposure shots from a tripod. You can take photos that will amaze us!

I love digital. It gives idoits like me a chance to get a good shot every couple hundred.
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 Born: 08/95. Died 11/11(est) @162K.
Cause of Death: Oil Starvation - Front crank bolt loose.
In the "operating room" since my purchase date of 6/8/12.
Got the block back from the machine shop 8/27/12.
First start 01/26/13. Running since!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprj80 View Post
The remote was a big hit when taking family gathering shots using the delay feature. Plus, it triggered my cousin's D5100 as well, so we had two cameras on tripods firing away simultaneously!
This thing came with a plug-in doo-dad that allows any android or iOS device to work as a remote. I haven't downloaded and installed the app yet but it seems like a cool idea. The DVD that came with the camera showed how you can watch live what the camera is seeing on your Android or iOS device while you decide when to start shooting video or fire off a still shot, or adjust settings on the camera.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprj80 View Post
I love digital. It gives idoits like me a chance to get a good shot every couple hundred.
Right now, the main thing that it has over my old 35mm is the variable ISO settings. Used to be, I was limited to whatever film speed I had in there as far as shutter speeds and aperture settings. Now that is kind of like the 3rd variable in exposure, so I can force a given shutter speed and aperture and let the ISO speed become the variable for exposure.

I'm liking it a LOT.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/