Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 PM
MountainGoat's Avatar
MountainGoat MountainGoat is online now
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Conifer, CO
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman View Post
I would get a attorney and sue Metal Movers for repairs and damages, sounds like they are liable! Just a thought
And be sure to show him their website (emphasis provided by me):

"No tires and not running? No problem!
Sell Your Junk Car

Metal Movers will give you cash for your unwanted vehicles - no questions asked!

Call Metal Movers today 303-297-1818 and we will come out and pick up your car or truck for free! We do not turn any cars down, all vehicles accepted!"


__________________
Dan Kucera
TLCA# 17536
KDWJO

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Fishy's Avatar
Fishy Fishy is offline
Rising Sun Event Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,162
Default

Did it ever occur to anyone that Metal Movers might be soooo willing to help because they knew what they were doing was wrong/illegal? They accepted a stolen vehicle. A simple VIN search would have shown that A: the truck has been reported as stolen or B: The guy selling them the vehicle for scrap was not the actual owner.

Maybe this isn't the case at all, and there's more to this story than what's here. I have never scrapped a vehicle and don't know the "in's and outs" of that process, but there's got to be more than just driving a truck up to the counter and being handed a pile if cash.
__________________
Stan
UZJ100 (Non-White Edition)

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Squishy!'s Avatar
Squishy! Squishy! is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 906
Default

I stopped by there and there's no way anything from my truck would still be there and no one was willing to help me much at all in locating a VIN. super sketchy.
__________________
-Justin Morgan, Toyota Technician (T-TEN)

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab

"Apollo"-1988, 2001 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: SAS, Duals.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 AM
mikeyhcrana's Avatar
mikeyhcrana mikeyhcrana is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Did it ever occur to anyone that Metal Movers might be soooo willing to help because they knew what they were doing was wrong/illegal? They accepted a stolen vehicle. A simple VIN search would have shown that A: the truck has been reported as stolen or B: The guy selling them the vehicle for scrap was not the actual owner.
Bingo

Once you report a vehicle stolen, a simple check on this site confirms whether a vehicle is stolen or not. Mine was listed on there as soon as I made my report. It would be real easy to check VIN's before dismantling begins. That said, nobody's perfect, scrap is a very competitive business, and they did what I asked to fix the mistake. I wish everybody could get their cars back, but this is going to continue as long as people are desparate, and metal is worth more then paper.


https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dps/mvvs/public/entry.jsf
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,380
Default

Of course they bent over backwards to make you happy, they were caught redhanded receiving stolen property. I understand scrap being competitive but IMO there is a special place in hell for those who facilitate stuff like that. There is no excuse for it. They know that a lot of the vehicles they scrap are stolen and that's why they don't let them sit around. It also irks me that I bet the cops know what goes on but they do nothing about it. There aren't that many places that scrap cars.
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 AM
mikeyhcrana's Avatar
mikeyhcrana mikeyhcrana is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Of course they bent over backwards to make you happy, they were caught redhanded receiving stolen property. I understand scrap being competitive but IMO there is a special place in hell for those who facilitate stuff like that. There is no excuse for it. They know that a lot of the vehicles they scrap are stolen and that's why they don't let them sit around. It also irks me that I bet the cops know what goes on but they do nothing about it. There aren't that many places that scrap cars.
I agree completely. The debate gets social & political from here.

It's the system. If police wanted to catch thieves, they could. I bet if I took my smart phone up and down the rows of cars at the pull yourself lots running VIN's, I could find stolen cars. Why couldn't a beat cop do that? Receiving stolen property is as bad as stealing, and it happened. How come the police aren't doing anything? I can't stop this myself.

Ownership is an illusion. All power flows from the end of a gun. The guy with the biggest gun owns everything because he could take anything. One only owns what he has the ability, and will to defend. As people, we have more power when we cooperate. We should be running VIN's when we see suspicious activity, or when buying parts from shady characters. Protect yourself, the ones you love, and each other, we cant expect to be protected by big brother in everything.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
baja1d's Avatar
baja1d baja1d is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,251
Default

I'll touch some nerves here I'm sure... It's easy to blame cops, teachers, firemen, or any other public servant. The fact of the matter is that any "public service" job IS short staffed, under paid, and always asked to do more with less. People need to raise their kids right & be involved in their lives. Those that haven't reproduced ought to think about mentoring those that are less fortunate or have POS parents. Society & Politicians need to stop pointing fingers & accept some responsibility.... Don't get me started on video games. Thought I'd chime in on the turn that this thread is taking.

On a lighter note, I'm really glad that you got your RIG back Mike. I hope the that you get HER back to tip top shape & that SHE stays with you for a long, long time. I too think that the scrap yard got off too easy & that you should have your truck back to the way it was prior to the theft.
__________________
Travis
TLCA#: 22078
1994 FJ80
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM
mikeyhcrana's Avatar
mikeyhcrana mikeyhcrana is offline
Lifted
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Westminster
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
I'll touch some nerves here I'm sure... It's easy to blame cops, teachers, firemen, or any other public servant. The fact of the matter is that any "public service" job IS short staffed, under paid, and always asked to do more with less. People need to raise their kids right & be involved in their lives. Those that haven't reproduced ought to think about mentoring those that are less fortunate or have POS parents. Society & Politicians need to stop pointing fingers & accept some responsibility.... Don't get me started on video games. Thought I'd chime in on the turn that this thread is taking.

On a lighter note, I'm really glad that you got your RIG back Mike. I hope the that you get HER back to tip top shape & that SHE stays with you for a long, long time. I too think that the scrap yard got off too easy & that you should have your truck back to the way it was prior to the theft.
Thanks Travis.

Public service is our only option, and it's the best option, but public is us. I hope I did the best I could to shed some light on what is happening. The more we know the better we could fight. When someone's rig is stolen, we have to check these places ASAP. I got my truck back due to help from a complete stranger.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM
o2bin4lo o2bin4lo is offline
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4
Default

Trying not to highjack this thread, I think we learned a lot from this unfortunate incident, but how about a thread/sticky on how to theft proof our rigs. Maybe it already exists.
Most of these things are crimes of opportunity so if we can impede the scum in their efforts by making it more difficult, taking more time to overcome the systems we could rest a bit easier. If the scum really want the rig they will take it, and short of claymore mines...
just my humble observations.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM
baja1d's Avatar
baja1d baja1d is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bin4lo View Post
Trying not to highjack this thread, I think we learned a lot from this unfortunate incident, but how about a thread/sticky on how to theft proof our rigs. Maybe it already exists.
Most of these things are crimes of opportunity so if we can impede the scum in their efforts by making it more difficult, taking more time to overcome the systems we could rest a bit easier. If the scum really want the rig they will take it, and short of claymore mines...
just my humble observations.
Great idea for a thread
__________________
Travis
TLCA#: 22078
1994 FJ80
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.